Chicken Fricassee with Dumplings
4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 3 hrs + 20 min
- 1 chicken
(4 to 6-pounds)
- 1 teaspoon
Water to cover
Tablespoons chopped celery leaves
- 1/2 cup flour
Tablespoons soft butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Tablespoon butter or cooking oil
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk or
- In a large pot, put chicken with giblets,
salt, celery leaves, and water. Cover tightly.
- Cook 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until tender.
- Take chicken from broth and remove bone,
gristle, and skin.
- Separate meat so that there are an even
number of pieces per serving.
- In a bowl, mix flour and butter into a
roux and drop in broth.
- Stir and bring to a boil and gravy
thickens. Add pepper.
- In a bowl, mix 2-Tablespoons of butter or
cooking oil, into sifted flour, baking powder, and salt until
grainy, and add the milk. Stir.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto the simmering
- Cover tightly and do not lift cover for
15 to 20 minutes, to allow the dumplings to rise.
Page 1 of 1