Cooking, Picnic, Tailgate, & Backyard Recipes
Summer Steak & Potato Salad
Prep time: 30 min.
Marinate time: 6 hrs. or overnight
Cooking time: 20 min.
- 1 - beef top round steak or 2 boneless beef
chuck shoulder steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about
- 1/2 - cup olive oil
- 3 - Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 - teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 - clove garlic, minced
- 1 - teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- 1/8 - teaspoon pepper
- 12 - red-skinned new potatoes, cut in half
(about 1 pound)
- 8 - cups Boston, leaf or romaine lettuce
leaves (about 10 ounces)
- 1 - cup red or yellow cherry tomatoes, cut
- 1 - cup pitted green and ripe olives
- 6 - ounces blue cheese, cut in chunks
- In small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice,
lemon peel, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place beef steak and 1/3 cup lemon marinade
in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat.
- Close bag securely and marinate in
refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight,
- Cover and reserve remaining marinade in
- Thread potatoes onto four 12-inch metal
skewers, leaving small space between pieces.
- Brush with 1 Tablespoon reserved marinade.
- Remove steak from marinade and discard
- Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered
coals and arrange potato skewers around steak.
- Grill potatoes, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes
or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Grill top round steak, uncovered, 16 to 18
minutes for medium rare doneness (chuck
shoulder steaks 16 to 20 minutes for medium
rare to medium doneness), turning
- Remove and let stand 10 minutes.
- Carve steak into thin slices. Remove
potatoes from skewers.
- Line 6 plates with lettuce leaves.
- Arrange steak slices, tomatoes, olives,
potatoes and cheese evenly over lettuce.
- Drizzle evenly with remaining reserved
Page 1 of 1