Cooking, Picnic, Tailgate, &
Tomato Basil and Grilled Bread Salad
8 (3/4-cup) servings
Prep time: 20 min.
Grilling time: 5 min.
- 3 - Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 8 - slices (1/4-inch thick) Italian or Vienna bread
- 4 - tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 - Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 - Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 - teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 - teaspoon salt
- 1/8 - teaspoon pepper
Heat gas grill on low or charcoal grill until coals are ash
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and garlic. Brush
both sides of bread slices with butter mixture.
- Place bread onto grill. Grill, turning often, until crisp
and golden (5 minutes).
- Break grilled bread into small pieces.
- In a large serving bowl, place tomatoes, olive oil, basil,
vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Add bread pieces and
Alan's Kitchen Tip
- Traditionally, Italian bread salad is made with stale
bread. After the salad is tossed it stands for a while so
the bread can soak up the juices. Let this salad stand for
10 to 15 minutes before serving if soft, juicy croutons are
Page 1 of