Summer Squash with Pine
Nuts and Romano Cheese
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Cooking Time: LOW 4 to 5 hours
2- Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 - garlic clove, minced
1/2 - cup yellow onion, chopped
1 - medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 - medium zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch slices
3 - medium summer squash, cut in 1/2-inches slices
1 - teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 - cup pine nuts, chopped
1/3 - cup Romano cheese, freshly grated
1 - teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 - teaspoon black pepper
1 - Tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- To your sauté pan at medium heat, add olive
- Add garlic, onion, and bell pepper.
- Stir the vegetables occasionally and sauté
until onions are translucent and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Place into slow cooker.
- Next, add your zucchini and summer squash.
- You want to toss lightly.
- In a small bowl, add pine nuts, cheese, Italian
seasoning, salt and pepper.
- You will fold half the cheese - nut mixture
into the squash.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese-nut mixture over
- Top the cheese mixture with butter.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.