Pecan and Chocolate
Makes 16 servings
Preheat oven to
350� F. Grease and flour
two 9-inch round cake pans. Sprinkle pecans evenly in bottom of greased
and floured pans.
- Into a large bowl, sift together the
flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour into a electric mixer bowl.
- Add the shortening, milk, and vanilla
and beat for 1-1/2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add the egg whites and continue to
beat an additional 1-1/2 minutes.
- Spoon one-fourth of the batter into
each pecan-lined pan.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
- Carefully spoon the remaining batter
over the chocolate.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until
cake is golden brown and top springs back when touched lightly in
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans.
Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- To make the frosting, in a small
saucepan, add sugar, unsweetened chocolate and 1/4-cup water.
- Over low heat, cook until melted, stir
constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and cool.
- In small bowl, add the shortening and
vanilla. Mix. Gradually beat in 2-cups of the powdered sugar until
well blended. (Reserve 1/3-cup white frosting.)
- To remaining frosting, add cooled
chocolate mixture and the remaining 1.4-cup powdered sugar and enough
water for desired spreading consistency.
- To bring together the cake, place
first layer, pecan side up, on serving plate.
- Spread with about 1/2-cup chocolate
frosting. Top with second layer, pecan side up.
- Frost sides and 1/2-inch around top
edge of cake with remaining chocolate frosting.
- If necessary, thin reserved white
frosting with enough water for desired piping consistency.
- Pipe around edge of nuts on top of
High Altitude Instructions (Above 3500
Feet): Increase flour in cake to 2-1/2 cups; decrease baking powder in
cake to 3 teaspoons. Bake as directed above.