Virginia Meat Loaf Sandwich
Prep Time: 20 min
Baking Time: 1 hr. 15 min
- 1 - loaf (16-ounces) Italian or sourdough bread
- 2 1/2 - Tablespoons butter or margarine,
- 1 - small onion, chopped)
- 1/2 - package (8-ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 - large egg
- 6 to 7 - Tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 1 1/2 - cups (6-ounces) shredded Cheddar
- 1 - pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 - up dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 - teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 - teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 - 3 - Tablespoon mayonnaise
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut bread loaf in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out bread, leaving 1/-4-inch thick
- Tear reserved bread into pieces, and measure 1
1/2 cups, reserving remaining bread piece for other use.
- Set bread shells and 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, melt 1 1/2 Tablespoons
butter over medium head. Add chopped onion and mushrooms, and sauté
8 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, stir together egg and 2
- Add onion mixture, 1 1.2 cups breadcrumbs, 1/2
cup cheese, ground beef, wine or broth, garlic salt, and thyme,
- Shape mixture into a 6 to 7 inch load.
- Place on a lightly greased rack in a roasting
- Bake for 1 hour or until done.
- Spread bottom bread shell with mayonnaise and
top with meat loaf.
- Top with remaining ketchup.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Top with remaining bread half.
- Melt remaining 1 Tablespoon butter and brush
over bread top.
- Wrap in aluminum foil.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated.
Page 1 of 1