New Potatoes and Gravy
Makes 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
- 3 – pounds new potatoes, washed, bad
spots removed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- water to cover the potatoes
- 2 – teaspoons salt
- 2/3 – cup flour
- 2/3 – cup milk
- 1/4 – cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 – teaspoon pepper
- To a saucepan, add the potatoes and
water to cover. Add the salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and
simmer about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, pour the
flour into a medium-size bowl.
- Make a cold roux by slowly pouring the
milk into the center of the flour and whisk together. You want a
consistency of pancake batter.
- Now mix about half of the potato water
into cold roux.
- While the potatoes still simmering,
add the butter and pepper, and then slowly pour the roux into the
pan. (Add just enough roux to thicken.) Again you want the gravy to
have the consistency of pancake batter.
Page 1 of 1