Born: April 29, 1937, Boone County, West Virginia
Died: April 25, 2005 (age 67), Boone County, West Virginia
Adkins (pronounced "Hassle,"
not "Haysil"), was an Appalachian country, rock and roll and
blues musician, though he was frequently considered rockabilly and
sometimes primitive jazz.
He generally performed as a one-man band, playing
guitar and drums at the same time and singing. Hasil was equally skilled
on the harmonica and on keyboard.
What do you know about Hasil Adkins? Pick this
West Virginia Folks Quick Quiz.
1. How many days of school did Adkins attend?
- 6 days
- 24 months
- 12 years
2. Adkins grew up in a tarpaper shack on property
rented from the local coal company.
3. Who was Hasil's neighbor a.k.a. the Dancin'
Outlaw from Boone County -- an Elvis disciple who now openly
acknowledges Hasil's influence.
- Jesco White
- David Ray White
- Chuck Yeager
4. Nicknamed "The Haze", Adkins claimed
a repertoire of over 9,000 songs including over 7,000 original
compositions, recorded scores of small, micro-label 45s, and is
responsible for the birth of Norton Records, Psychobilly, and a dance
called "The Hunch".
5. His music can be sad, humorous, and/or frantic.
He was well known for shrieking certain catchphrases. What was a
- Big Mac
6. Adkins often noted in interviews that his
primary heroes and influences. Who was NOT a hero or
- Hank Williams Sr.
- Col. Harlan Sanders, the inventor of Kentucky
- Kevin Bacon
7. What was one of his best known songs?
- "Country Roads"
- "No More Hot Dogs"
- "My Home is Mine, Not Yours"
8. Adkins recorded an entire album devoted to
chickens such songs as "Chicken Run", "Chicken Hop",
"Chicken Flop", "Chicken Wobble", and "Chicken
On The Bone". What was the album's title?
- Poultry in Motion
- My Father was a Chicken
- Chicken on the Hill
9. On April 15, 2005, Adkins was deliberately run
over in his front yard by a teenager on an ATV. The perpetrator was
apprehended by police (after running over another person a short
distance down the road from Adkins' house), and Adkins identified him in
a picture the police showed him. Ten days later, on April 25, Adkins was
found dead in his home.
10. Where is Hasil Adkins buried?
- Maplewood Cemetery, Kingwood, West Virginia,
- Van Buren Cemetery, Boone County, West Virginia
- Oaklawn Memorial Park, Barboursville, West