Born: January 24, 1949, Chicago, Illinois
Died: March 5, 1982 (age 33), Los Angeles, California
Adam Belushi was an American comedian, actor and musician, notable for
his work on Saturday Night Live, National Lampoon's Animal
House and The Blues Brothers.
Belushi was born in Chicago, Illinois, the son of Agnes Belushi (née
Samaras), a cashier and first-generation Albanian American, and Adam
Belushi, an Albanian immigrant and restaurant operator who left his
native village, Qytezë, in 1934 at the age of fifteen. Belushi was
raised in the Albanian Orthodox Church and grew up outside Chicago in
What do you know about John Belushi? Try this quick quiz.
1. Belushi's first big break as a comedian occurred in 1971, when he
joined what comedy group?
2. Thanks to his uncanny caricature of a performer's intense and
jerky stage presence, he was cast in National Lampoon's Lemmings,
a parody of Woodstock, which played Off-Broadway in 1972. Who was the
performer he caricatured?
3. In 1975, Belushi achieved national fame for his work on Saturday
Night Live. Was he an original cast member?
4. On John's 30th birthday (in 1979), he had the number one film in
the U.S. (Animal House), the number one album in the U.S. (The
Blues Brothers: Briefcase Full of Blues) and Saturday Night Live
was the highest-rated late night television program. True or False?
5. In the toga party scene in the basement of the frat house in Animal
House, who is the uncredited coed dancing with Bluto (Belushi)? is
6. On March 5, 1982, Belushi was found dead in his room at Bungalow
#3 of the Chateau Marmont on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles,
California. What was the cause of death?
7. Where is John Belushi buried?