Born: July 25, 1894, Lynn, Massachusetts
Died: September 21, 1974 (age 80), Oxnard, California
Andrew Brennan was a three-time Academy Award winning American
actor. He is remembered as one of the premier character actors in motion
What do you know about Walter Brennan? Meet Walter in this quick
1. While working as a bank clerk, he enlisted in the U.S. Army and
served as a private in France during World War I. What was the regiment
he served with?
- 101st Field Artillery Regiment
- 5th Cavalry Regiment
- 82nd Airborne Regiment
2. What film did he win his first Academy Award for Best Supporting
3. Though he was hardly ever cast as the villain, notable exceptions
were his roles as in the classic 1946 film My Darling Clementine
opposite Henry Fonda. Who did he play?
- Old Man Clanton
- Old Man Earp
- Sheriff Bidwell
4. From 1957-1963, he starred in the ABC's television series The
Real McCoys, which costarred Richard Crenna, and Kathleen Nolan. The
comedy about a poor Missouri family that relocated to a farm in southern
5. Brennan had a song in 1960 on Liberty Records that hit #5 on the
Pop charts. What was the song?
- "Old Rivers"
- "Old Eyes"
- "Country Roads"
6. In 1967, he starred in another series, in which he played a man in
search of his gunfighter son, James, with his grandson, Jeff, played by
Dack Rambo. What was the TV series?
- Iron Man
- The Guns of Will Sonnett
7. Who did he play in Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo?
- Nadine Groot
- Deputy Stumpy
- James Rambo
8. In The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band (1968),
Brennan portrayed a Democratic supporter of U.S. President Grover
Cleveland. Who played Brennan's son in the film?
- Buddy Ebsen
- Richard Crenna
- John Wayne
9. What was the cause of Brennan's death at the age of 80?
- Heart Disease
10. Where is Walter Brennan buried?
- San Fernando Mission Cemetery, Los Angeles, California
- Laurel Land Memorial Park, Fort Worth, Texas
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills), Los Angeles,