Michael L. Benedum
Born: July 16, 1869, Bridgeport, West Virginia
Died: July 30, 1959 (age 90), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
L. Benedum, Oil
Magnate, Philanthropist. After an early career selling milling machinery, he became involved
in the oil industry with the South Penn Oil Company, an affiliate of
What do you know about Michael L. Benedum? Try this quick
1. He reached the position of Assistant General Land Agent for South
Penn in 1892, but left and founded his own company in partnership with
Joseph Trees. What was the company's name?
2. When did Benedum marry Sarah Nancy Lantz?
3. When their only child Claude Worthington Benedum die?
4. What was his nickname?
5. How long did his travel across the globe in search for oil and
built one of the most successful oil and gas companies in the world.
6. His industry from 1890 to 1950, developed companies and corporate
holdings to include, Transcontinental Oil Co. (1919), Plymouth Oil Co.
(1923), Hiawatha Oil and Gas Co. (1926), Big Lake Oilfield, (1926) and
Bentex Oil Corp. (1936). True or False?
7. His storage, transportation, marketing, refining, and conservation
practices led to the Interstate Oil Compact Commission in 1933.
8. In 1957, Fortune Magazine rated Michael L. Benedum's as one of the
75 wealthiest Americans worth between $75,000,000 to $100,000,000. What
would it be in 2005 dollars?
9. Where is Michael L. Benedum buried?