Born: September 13, 1903, Saint-Mandé, France
Died: July 30, 1996, Speightstown, Barbados
Claudette Colbert was a French-born American stage
and film actress. Her birth name was Émilie Claudette Chauchoin.
What do you know about
Claudette Colbert? Try this Quick Quiz.
When did her family emigrated to New York City?
2. What film was Colbert's only silent film and a
box office failure?
They Came Home
France for Ever
3. In 1928, what studio did she sign a film
- Paramount Pictures
- Warner Studios
4. Her first sound film was The Hole in the
Wall (1929). What newcomer was her co-star?
- Edward G. Robinson
- Gary Cooper
- Sonny James
5. Colbert won the Academy Award for Best Actress
for her role. What was the film?
Since You Went Away
6. In 1936, she signed a new contract with
Paramount Pictures, which required her to make seven films over a two
year period, and this contract made her Hollywood's highest paid
actress. This was followed by a contract renewal in 1938, after which
she was reported to be the highest paid performer in Hollywood with a
salary of $426,924.
7. In 1939 she made her first color film with
Henry Fonda. What was the movie?
- Drums Along the Mohawk
- They Came Home to Me
- I Remember Ethel
8. During this time she began acting for FOX'
popular Lux Radio Theater, making numerous appearances between
1935 and 1954.
9. In 1928, Colbert married Norman Foster, an
actor and director, who appeared with Colbert in the Broadway show The
Barker. However, she and her first husband lived apart, never
sharing a home together in Hollywood, supposedly because Colbert's
mother disliked Foster and wouldn't allow him into their home. Colbert
and Foster divorced in 1935, and in December of that year, Colbert
married Dr. Joel Pressman, a surgeon at UCLA. How long did the marriage
- 13 years
- 23 years
- 33 years
10. What was her last film in 1961?
- Texas Lady
- The Planter's Wife
11. Where is Claudette Colbert buried?
- Episcopal Church of Heavenly, New York City, NY
- St. John Cemetery, Manhattan, NY
- Parish of St. Peter Cemetery, Barbados