Born: March 25, 1918, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Died: April 23, 1995 (age 77), New York City, New York
William Cosell (born Howard William Cohen) was an American sports
What do you know about Howard Cosell? Try this Quick Quiz.
1. Howard Cosell graduated with a bachelor's degree in English from
New York University, where he was a member of Pi Lambda Phi. He then
went to the New York University School of Law where he earned his JD,
and was a member of the NYU Law Review. Cosell was admitted to the New
York state bar in 1941.
2. Cosell was a major during World War Two. What military branch did
- Army Air Force
3. In 1953, he hosted a radio program. What was the program about?
- Major League Sports
- Sports Law
- Little League
4. Cosell took his "tell-it-like-it-is" approach when he
teamed with the ex-Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher "Big Numba
Thirteen" Ralph Branca on WCBS-89's pre- and post-game radio shows
of the New York Mets beginning in 1962.
5. On radio, Cosell did his show, Speaking of Sports, as well as
sports reports and updates for affiliated radio stations around the
country; he continued his radio duties even after he became prominent on
television. Cosell then became a sports anchor in New York, where he
served in that role from 1961 to 1974. What was the TV station?
6. Cosell rose to prominence covering boxer Muhammad Ali, starting
when he still fought under his birth name, Cassius Clay. The two seemed
to be friends despite their very different personalities, and
complimented each other in broadcasts. In a time when many sports
broadcasters avoided touching social, racial, or other controversial
issues, and kept a certain level of collegiality towards the sports
figures they commented on, Cosell did not, and indeed built a reputation
around his catchphrase: “ I'm just telling it like it is.”True or
False?7. During Cosell's tenure as a sportscaster, he maintained a
feuding stance with legendary New York sports writer and columnist, who
rarely missed an opportunity to denigrate the broadcaster in print. Who
was the writer?
- Henry Brooks
- Dick Young
- Doug Cooper
8. In 1977, a helicopter-mounted camera lingered on the scene for a
few seconds and Cosell said in a weary voice, “There it is, ladies and
gentlemen, The Bronx is burning.” What was Cosell doing?
- World Series at Yankee Stadium
- Monday Night Football at Yankee Stadium
- Boxing at Yankee Stadium
9. After writing the book I Never Played the Game, which chronicled
his disenchantment with fellow commentators on Monday Night Football,
among other things, he was taken off scheduled announcing duties for the
1985 World Series. Who replaced him in the booth for the World Series?
- Johnny Bench
- Joe Morgan
- Tim McCarver
10. In the feature film Ali, who is nominated for an Academy Award
playing Howard Cosell?
- Jon Voight
- Paul Newman
- Robert Redford
11. In 1995, he died from a heart embolism at Beth Israel Medical
Center in New York City.
12. Where is Howard Cosell buried?
- Hollywood Forever, Hollywood, California
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California
- Cremated, buried with his wife Emmy in Westhampton Cemetery,
Westhampton, New York