What do you know about Colonial
Take this John Carver quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end
of the page.
You'll find 10 Questions
about John Carver.
1) Little is known about his early life,
however he was probably born in England.
What year is it believed he was
2) Carver was a wealthy London merchant, but he left England
and went to Leiden, Netherlands, in 1607 or 1608 because of
3) He was very
much welcome in the group because of his willingness to bear the
financial expenses. He donated much of his personal estate to
the Pilgrim congregation and to the Mayflower voyage.
4) When did Carver became the agent for the Pilgrims
in securing a charter and financial support for the
establishment of a colony in America?
5) Carver chartered the Mayflower and was chosen as
governor of the ship. With other colonists, he set sail from
Plymouth, England, in September 1620.
How many colonist, with
Carver, left Plymouth, England?
6) He traveled with his wife, Catherine, and with one
servant, Jasper More, a child of seven years of age. Jasper's
three brothers and sisters were given into the care of other
senior members of the company. Until relatively recently the
children were thought to be orphans or foundlings, but, in the
1990's, it was conclusively shown that they were sent to America
because they were illegitimate, and the source of great
controversy in England. It is not known whether Carver knew
anything about Jaspers� background.
When did Jasper die?
- November 6, 1620
- December 6, 1620
- December 21, 1620
- February 21, 1621
7) When did Carver sign the Mayflower
Compact and on the same day was elected governor of the colony?
- September 11, 1620
- November 1, 1620
- November 11, 1620
- November 21, 1620
8) Carver established a peace treaty
with Chief Massasoit of the Wampanoag tribe. This was one of
America's most successful Indian treaties, lasting for over half
When did Carver establish a peace treaty with
- November 1620
- December 1620
- March 1621
9) Carver died
suddenly (April 5, 1621) one month later after falling ill while
working in the fields.
was named his successor?
- Isaac Allerton
- William Bradford
- Moses Fletcher
- John Goodman
10) Where was John
- Coles Hill Burial Ground, Plymouth, Massachusetts
- Mount Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- South Church Cemetery, Andover, Essex County,
- Mount Wollaston Cemetery, Quincy, Norfolk County,