Born: August 15, 1912, Pasadena, California
Died: August 13, 2004 (age 91), Santa
Child (born Julia Carolyn McWilliams)
was an American cook, author, and television personality, who introduced
French cuisine and cooking techniques to the American mainstream,
through her many cookbooks and television programs. Her most famous
works are the 1961 cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking
and, showcasing her sui generis television persona, the series The
French Chef, which premiered in 1963.
What do you know about Julia Child? Cook up this
1. Julia Child was a famous American cook, author,
and television personality, who introduced French cuisine and cooking
techniques to the American mainstream, through her many cookbooks and
television programs. On August 13, 2008 what did we learn about Julia?
- She was a spy
- She was never married to Paul Child
- She was the adopted daughter of John and Julia
Carolyn ("Caro") McWilliams
2. What was Julia’s first TV series, that
premiered on February 11, 1963?
- I Spy
- I Lead Three Lives
- The French Chef
3. In 1934, she graduate from college. What was
- Smith College
- Salem College
4. In 1944 she was posted to Kandy, Ceylon (now
Sri Lanka), where she met her future husband, a high-ranking OSS
5. In 1948, they moved to Paris after the US State
Department assigned Paul Child as an exhibits officer with the United
States Information Agency in Paris, France. What school did she attend?
- Le Cordon Bleu
- Cambridge University
- The School of the Three Gourmands
6. In 1961, Mastering the Art of French Cooking
was a best-seller. Who was NOT a co-author with Julia?
- Graham Kerr
- Simone Beck
- Louisette Bertholle
7. In 1966, she was featured on the cover of Time
magazine with the heading, "Our Lady of the Ladle".
8. In a 1978 Saturday Night Live sketch, she was
affectionately parodied by Dan Aykroyd, continuing with a cooking show
despite profuse bleeding from a cut to the thumb. Who played her in the
- Jean Stapleton
- Meryl Streep
- Dan Aykroyd
9. Today, were can you find her kitchen?
- Smith College
- Smithsonian National Museum of American
- WGBH Studio in Boston MA
10. What was her signature line?
- "This is Julia Child. Bon appétit!"
- “This is Julia Child. Good Night and Good
- “This is Julia Child. See you next time.”
11. Where is Julia Child buried?
- Rose Hills Memorial Park, Whittier, California
- Oakwood Memorial Park, Chatsworth, California
- Cremated, ashes scattered