Born: July 31, 1932, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Died: January 16, 1979 (age 46), Los Angeles, California
Theodore Crawford Cassidy, known as Ted Cassidy, was an
American actor and voice actor who performed in television and films.
Extremely tall at 6 feet 9 inches, he tended to play unusual characters
in offbeat or science-fiction series such as Star Trek and I
Dream of Jeannie. He is best known for playing the part of Lurch,
the butler on the 1960s television series The Addams Family.
What do you know about Ted Cassidy. You Rang this Hollywood Quick
1. Although born in Pittsburgh, Cassidy was raised in Philippi, West
Virginia, 120 miles south of Pittsburgh. He played basketball (center
position) and football (tackle) for Philippi High School. At that time,
he was an imposing figure in both venues, being the tallest player in
the conference. Where did he first attended college?
- Alderson-Broaddus College
- West Virginia Wesleyan College
- Salem College
2. He worked as a mid-day disc jockey on WFAA-AM. Where was WFAA?
- Dallas, Texas
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3. On WFAA-TV Channel 8, playing an outer space creature on the
"Dialing for Dollars" segments on Ed Hogan's afternoon movies.
What was the creature's name?
4. An accomplished musician, Cassidy moonlighted at cafeteria in the
Lochwood Shopping Center in Dallas, Texas playing the organ to entertain
patrons. What was the cafeteria's name?
- Luby's Cafeteria
- Johnny Rockets
- Island Burgers
5. Besides playing Lurch, what other character did he play?
- Cousin It
- High Tops
6. Cassidy had a regular role on NBC's The New Adventures of
Huckleberry Finn as the blood-foe of Tom Sawyer and Huck. He played,
7. Cassidy did more work with Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry in
the early 1970s, playing in the pilots of the post-apocalyptic dramas "Genesis
II and Planet Earth. Who did he play?
8. In The Six-Million Dollar Man, the two part episode
entitled "The Return Of Bigfoot", Cassidy appeared as
"Bigfoot" (played by André the Giant in a previous two parter).
9. Cassidy suffered from health issues as he grew older. He died in
1979 at age 46 from complications following open-heart surgery. Fellow
actor Sandra Martinez assisted and took care of Ted during his final
10. Where is Ted Cassidy buried?
- Cremated, ashes buried in the lawn of his home
- Inglewood Park Cemetery, Inglewood, California
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills), Los Angeles, California