Born: April 2, 1908, Belleville,
Died: July 6, 2003 (age 95), Torrance, California
Ebsen was born Christian Rudolph Ebsen, Jr., He was a versatile
American character actor and dancer. A performer for seven decades, he
is best remembered for his starring role as Jed Clampett in the popular
1960s television series, The Beverly Hillbillies.
What do you know about Buddy Ebsen? Try this
Hollywood Quick Quiz.
1. Ebsen and his sisters (Vilma) learned to dance
at the dance studio his father operated in Orlando. He and his sister
formed an act and performed in supper clubs and in vaudeville. What did
they become known as?
- The Baby Astaires
- Chris and Vilma
- Bro and Sis
2. A rave review from a entertainment columnist,
who saw them perform in Atlantic City, gave them a boost and led to a
booking at the Palace Theatre, the pinnacle of the vaudeville world. Who
wrote the rave review?
- Walter Winchell
- Ed Sullivan
- Ted Mack
3. They moved to Hollywood, and made their film
debut. What was the movie?
- Broadway Melody of 1936
- Dance Time in 1936
- 1936s New Stars Review
4. What service did he serve in as a lieutenant
during World War Two?
5. He was a sidekick for a Singing Cowboy star in
the early 1950s. Who was the star?
- Roy Rogers
- Gene Autry
- Rex Allen
6. What was the Disney TV series he played George
- Davy Crocket
- Daniel Boone
- Rin Tin Tin
7. Ebsen received critical acclaim for his
breakthrough role of Doc Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's in 1961. He
brought empathy and pathos to his fatherly portrayal of the rural
veterinarian deserted by his young wife Holly, played by Audrey Hepburn.
8. On The Beverly Hillbillies, one episode was the
highest-rated half-hour on television to that time and remains the
most-watched half-hour sitcom episode. What was the episode?
- The Giant Jack Rabbit
- Pa Comes Home
- The Tennessee Mud Flaps
9. Ebsen returned to television in early 1973, as
the title character, which proved to be his second long-running TV
series of his long career. What was the series?
- Barnaby Jones
- Alias Smith and Jones
10. His last regular television series was Matt
Houston on ABC, starring Lee Horsley. Ebsen played Matt's uncle, Roy
Houston, during the show's third season in 1984-1985.
11. What was Ebsen's cause of death?
- Heart attack
12. Where is Buddy Ebsen buried?
- Cremated, ashes were scattered at sea
- Common Burying Ground and Island Cemetery in
Newport, Rhode Island
- Church Green Cemetery, Taunton, Massachusetts