Born: October 22, 1903, Brownsville, Brooklyn, New York
Died: January 18, 1952 (age 48), San Gabriel, California
Howard (Jerome Lester Horwitz) was an American comedian and
vaudevillian, best known as a member of the American slapstick comedy
team the Three Stooges, along with his older brothers Moe Howard and
Shemp Howard, and actor Larry Fine.
Curly was more or less the breakout
character of the Stooges and is generally considered the most popular
and recognizable of the three.
What do you know about Curley Howard. "nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!" the
Hollywood Quick Quiz.
1. As a youngster, what was his nickname?
2. When Curly was 12, he accidentally shot himself in the ankle while
cleaning a rifle. Moe rushed him to the hospital and saved his life. He
suffered a slight limp afterward, but was so frightened of surgery that
he never got it corrected.
3. From an early age, Curly was always "in demand
socially," as brother Moe put it. He was also a ladies' man and
could not resist a beautiful woman. When did Curly marry his first wife,
- August 5, 1930
- February 6, 1930
- March 6, 1930
4. In 1928, Curly's break onto the stage was as a comedy musical
conductor for the Ted Knights Rock & Roll Band.
5. Originally, Howard, Fine, Howard were the stooges with what act?
- Art Moore
- Ted Healy
- Shemp Howard
6. On several occasions, Moe was convinced that a rising star (a
close friend of Shemp) was stealing Curly's material. Who was the
- Art Carney
- Stan Laurel
- Lou Costello
7. Oddly enough, Curly's off screen personality was the antithesis of
his onscreen manic persona. An introvert, Curly generally kept to
himself, rarely socializing with people unless he had consumed several
8. The end came soon enough. While filming Half-Wits Holiday,
Curly suffered a massive stroke on the set. What was the date?
- January 23, 1944
- May 6, 1946
- January 23, 1946
9. On January 18, 1952, Curley Howard died, at the age of 48, while
at the Baldy View Sanitarium in San Gabriel, California. What was the
cause of death?
- Cerebral hemorrhage
- Lung cancer
- Auto accident
10. Where is Curley Howard buried?
- Home of Peace Cemetery, East Los Angeles.
- Nassau Knolls Cemetery, Port Washington, New York,
- Greenwood Memorial Park, San Diego, California