Born: December 14, 1954, Greenfield, Wisconsin
Died: April 1, 1993 (age 38), near Blountville, Tennessee
Dennis Kulwicki, nicknamed "Special K" and the
"Polish Prince", was an American NASCAR Winston Cup Series
(now Sprint Cup Series) racecar driver.
He started racing at local short tracks in Wisconsin before he moved
up to regional stock car touring series. Kulwicki arrived at NASCAR, the
highest and most expensive level of stock car racing in the United
States, with only a borrowed pickup truck, a racecar, no sponsor, and a
What do you know about Alan Kulwicki? Rev up for this quick quiz.
1. Kulwicki attended Pius XI High School, a Roman Catholic high
school in Milwaukee, and received a Bachelor of Science degree in
mechanical engineering. In 1977, what university did he get his degree?
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- University of Michigan
- Michigan State University
2. Kulwicki raced in four NASCAR Busch Grand National Series (now
Nationwide Series) races in 1984. Kulwicki qualified second fastest and
finished in second place at his first career NASCAR race. Where did the
race take place?
- Milwaukee Mile
- Charlotte Speedway
- Daytona Speedway
3. Kulwicki started his rookie season in 1986 with Bill Terry. After
Terry decided to close his racing team during the season, Kulwicki
fielded his own team. Kulwicki started out as essentially a one-man team
in a time when other teams had dozens of people in supporting roles.
4. With one car, two engines, and two full-time crew members, what
did Kulwicki win in 1986?
- Winston Cup Rookie of the Year award
- Winston Cup Driver of the Year award
- NASCAR Mechanic of the Year award
5. For the 1987 season, Kulwicki secured primary sponsorship and
changed his car number to #7. Who was the primary sponsor?
6. In 1988, where did Kulwicki win his first NASCAR Winston Cup race?
- Phoenix International Raceway
- Texas Speedway
- Bristol Speedway
7. After his first victory, what did he become famous for?
- Polish Victory Lap
- Polish Speed Lap
- Polish Handshake
8. What year did he win the NASCAR Winston Cup championship?
9. He was returning in a Hooters corporate plane in a short flight
across Tennessee from an appearance at the Knoxville Hooters before the
Sunday spring race at Bristol. The plane slowed and crashed just before
final approach at Tri-Cities Regional Airport near Blountville.
10. Where is Alan Kulwicki buried?
- Saint Adalbert Cemetery, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Cemetery of the Pines, Boulder Junction, Wisconsin
- Saint Agnes Cemetery, Ashland, Wisconsin