October 6, 1908, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Died: January 16, 1942 (age 33), Mount Potosi, near Las Vegas,
Carole Lombard, born Jane Alice Peters was an Oscar-nominated
American actress. She was particularly noted for her comedic roles in
several classic films of the 1930s. She is listed as one of the American
Film Institute's greatest stars of all time.
What do you know about Carole Lombard? Take this Hollywood Quick
1. Lombard made her film debut at the age of twelve after she was
seen playing baseball in the street by director Allan Dwan; he cast her
as a tomboy. What was the film?
The Long Goodbye
2. In 1929, what was her first sound film?
- The Eagle's Brood
- Bar 20 Rides Again
3. Who did Lombard marry on June 26, 1931?
- William Boyd
- Johnny Mack Brown
- William Powell
4. Who hired her for his next film, Twentieth Century,
alongside living legend John Barrymore.
- Howard Hawks
- Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Ted Mack
5. In what 1935 film helped to establish her reputation as a top
- Morning Glory
- The Ides of March
- Hands Across the Table
6. In 1936, she did a screwball comedy and was nominated for an
Academy Award for Best Actress. What was the movie?
Come Back Little Girl
My Man Godfrey
7. In 1937, she was cast in Nothing Sacred. Her casting her
opposite Fredric March and putting Lombard under the direction of
William A. Wellman. Produced by David O. Selznick, it was Lombard's only
film in Technicolor.
8. Who did she marry on March 29, 1939?
- Gene Autry
- Clark Gable
- Cary Grant
9. On the morning of Friday, January 16, 1942, Lombard and her mother
boarded a Transcontinental and Western Air DC-3 airplane to return to
California. After refueling in Las Vegas, Flight 3 took off on a clear
night. However, beacons in the area had been blacked out because of the
war, and the plane was 6.7 miles off course. Twenty-three minutes after
takeoff, the plane crashed into "Double Up Peak" near the
8,300-foot level of Mount Potosi, 32 miles southwest of Las
Vegas. All 22 passengers and crew were killed. A plaque marked the spot,
but was stolen sometime in 2007.
10. Where is Carole Lombard buried?
- Hills of Eternity, Colma, California
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California
- Heavenly Cemetery, Las Vegas, Nevada