Born: December 17, 1927, Chicago, Illinois
Died: December 21, 1974 (age 47), Los Angeles, California
Long was an American actor best known for his leading roles in
several ABC television series, including The Big Valley (with
Barbara Stanwyck) and Nanny and the Professor (with Juliet
Mills). He also appeared as "Gentleman Jack Darby" in Maverick,
including the oft-discussed "Shady Deal at Sunny Acres"
Long played private detective Rex Randolph as a lead in both Bourbon
Street Beat (1959-1960) with Andrew Duggan and in 77 Sunset Strip
(both ABC Warner Brothers programs), with Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., Roger
Smith, and Edd Byrnes. Long replaced Smith on 77 Sunset Strip
when Smith left the series because of health problems.
What do you know about Richard Long? Try this quick quiz.
1. In 1944, his family relocated to Los Angeles, California. What
high school did Long attend his senior year?
2. In 1946, Long was hence cast in his first film, Tomorrow Is
Forever as The role had been unfilled for months, and producers
selected Long who most closely matched the credentials required. Who did
3. During the Korean War, who did he serve with?
4. Early in his career, Long appeared in several films as a juvenile
lead, including four of the nine Ma and Pa Kettle pictures. What
character did he play in the Ma and Pa Kettle films?
5. He moved into leading man status in B movies such as House on
Haunted Hill (1959). What character did he play in the movie?
6. In 1965, Long began his role as attorney Jarrod Barkley, oldest
son to rancher Victoria Barkley (Barbara Stanwyck). How old was Long
when he took the role?
7. In 1953, Long had costarred with Stanwyck. What was the film?
8. What was Long's cause of death?
9. Where is Richard Long buried?