Born: October 9, 1940, Liverpool, England
Died: December 8, 1980 (aged 40), New York City, New York
John Winston Ono Lennon, MBE (John Winston) was an English rock
musician, singer, writer, songwriter, artist, actor and peace activist
who gained worldwide fame as one of the founding members of The Beatles.
Lennon along with Paul McCartney formed one of the most influential and
successful songwriting partnerships and "wrote some of the most
popular music in rock and roll history".
What do you know about John Lennon? Rock to this quick quiz.
John Winston Lennon was born in the Liverpool Maternity Hospital, Oxford
Street, Liverpool, to Julia Lennon (née Stanley) and Alfred (Alf, or
Freddie) Lennon, during the course of a German air raid in World War
2. On 15 July 1958, when Lennon was 17, his mother Julia was killed
on Menlove Avenue (close to her sister's Mimi's house). How did she die?
- Struck by a car driven by an off-duty police officer
- Drug overdose
- Breast cancer
3. When did Lennon start The Quarrymen?
- March 1957
- February 1947
- July 1958
4. Lennon married Cynthia Powell on August 23, 1962 at the Mount
Pleasant Register Office in Liverpool. When was their son, John Charles
Julian Lennon born in Sefton General Hospital?
- April 8, 1963
- March 8, 1963
- February 8, 1963
5. The Beatles first smoked cannabis with Bob Dylan in New York in
1964; Dylan mistakenly interpreted the lyric "I can't hide"
from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" as "I get high" and
presumed that The Beatles were already familiar with the drug.
6. Who were Dr Winston O'Boogie, Mel Torment (a play on singer Mel
Tormé), and The Reverend Fred Gherkin?
- John Lennon's pseudonyms
- John Lennon's guest artist
- John Lennon's medical staff
7. Lennon and Yoko Ono were never married?
8. In June 1973, Ono decided that she and Lennon should separate. Ono
suggested that he take their personal assistant, as a companion. Lennon
soon moved to California with her, and embarked on an eighteen-month
period he would later call his "Lost Weekend." Who was their
- May Pang
- Myra Richardson
- Astrid Kirchherr
9. On the night of December 8, 1980, Lennon was shot in the back four
times (the fifth shot missed) in the entrance hallway of the Dakota. Who
- Mark Daniel Randolph
- Mark David Chapman
- Seymour Stuart
10. Where is John Lennon buried?
- Quarry Bank Cemetery, Liverpool, England
- Ferncliff Cemetery, London, England
- Cremated, ashes given to family or friend
2. Struck by a car driven by an off-duty police officer
3. March 1957
4. April 8, 1963
6. John Lennon's pseudonyms
7. Myth. The couple were married in Gibraltar on March 20, 1969, and spent
their honeymoon in Amsterdam campaigning for an international "Bed-In"
8. May Pang
9. Mark David Chapman
Cremated, ashes given to family or friend
Page 1 of 1