Born: January 31, 1921, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Died: October 7, 1959, (age 38) Rome, Italy
Lanza (Alfredo Arnold Cocozza) was an American tenor and
Hollywood movie star who enjoyed success in the late 1940s and 1950s.
What do you know about Mario Lanza? Try
this Hollywood Legend Quick Quiz.
1. His operatic debut, as Fenton in Otto Nicolai's Die lustigen
Weiber von Windsor, was at Tanglewood, after studying with
conductors Boris Goldovsky and Leonard Bernstein. What was the date?
- February 6, 1947
- August 7, 1942
- December 31, 1943
2. His operatic career was interrupted by World War II, when he was
assigned to Special Services. What was the branch of service?
- U.S. Army Air Corps
- U.S. Marines
- U.S. Coast Guard
3. He resumed his singing career in October 1945 on the CBS radio
program, where he made six appearances singing various operatic
selections. What was the radio program?
- Operatic Moments to Remember
- Songs You'll Never Forget
- Great Moments in Music
4. Who did he marry on April 12, 1945?
- Betty Gable
- Betty Hicks
- Betty Baker
5. Winged Victory, 1944 (uncredited chorus member) was his
first movie. For the First Time (1959) was the screen debut of
tenor Mario Lanza, also starring Kathryn Grayson, and released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
6. In May 1949, he made his first commercial recordings. Who was the
- RCA Victor
7. In 1954, Lanza was dismissed by MGM after he had pre-recorded the
songs for The Student Prince.
- Edmund Purdom
- Earl Hartman
- Phil Monroe
8. What was the 1956 Warner Bros. release, were tenor Mario Lanza's
played in his fifth film, and his first on-screen appearance in four
- The Road to Rome
- The Philadelphia Story
9. In April 1959, Lanza suffered a minor heart attack, followed by
double pneumonia in August. He died in Rome in October of that year at
the age of 38 from a pulmonary embolism after undergoing a controversial
weight loss program colloquially known as "the twilight sleep
treatment," which required its patients to be kept immobile and
sedated for prolonged periods.
10. Where is Mario Lanza buried?
- Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery, Westwood, California
- Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery, Culver City, California
- Holy Cross Cemetery, Culver City, California