Born: November 5, 1905, South Pasadena,
Died: October 20, 1990, (age 84), Los Angeles, California
Albert McCrea was an American actor and film star whose career
spanned 50 years and appearances in over 90 films. Among his films are
"The Virginian," "Foreign Correspondent," "The
Palm Beach Story," "Sullivan's Travels," "Ride The
High Country," "These Three" and "Wells Fargo."
1. He got his first leading role in 1930. What was
- The Silver Hoard
- So This Is College
- The Fair Co-Ed
2. Bird of Paradise (1932) was made
pre-Hays Code that nudity could be shown. The film scandalized the
public of this year due to the bold scenes between Dolores del Rio and
Joel McCrea where they were swimming naked.
3. Over his career, he made six movies with
Barbara Stanwyck. One of their movies together was Internes Can't
Take Money (1937). He was the first actor to play this movie
character. Who was the character?
- Dr. Kildare
- Dr. Strangeglove
- Dr. Morgan
4. He did Wells Fargo (1937), playing
Ramsay MacKay. Who played Justine Pryor MacKay?
- Frances Dee
- Barbara Stanwyck
- Miriam Hopkins
5. Union Pacific is a 1939 film about the
building of the railroad across the American West. The story is based
upon the novel Trouble Shooter, written by the prolific Western fiction
author, Ernest Haycox. It stars McCrea and Judy Garland.
6. He played William Frederick 'Buffalo Bill' Cody
in Buffalo Bill (1944). W ho played Sergeant Chips McGraw?
- Thomas Mitchell
- Edgar Buchanan
- Anthony Quinn
7. Joel McCrea plays The Virginian, in
director Stuart Gilmore’s The Virginian (1946). Who plays the bad guy
- William Frawley
- Tom Tully
- Brian Donlevy
8. Tales of the Texas Rangers, a western
adventure old-time radio drama, premiered on July 8, 1950, on the US NBC
radio network and remained on the air through September 14, 1952. Movie
star Joel McCrea starred as Texas Ranger Jayce Pearson, who used the
latest scientific techniques to identify the criminals and his faithful
horse, Charcoal, to track them down. The shows were reenactments of
actual Texas Ranger cases. Who was the show’s sponsor?
- Snicker Candy Bars
- Quaker Oatmeal
9. Wichita Town is a Western television
series starring Joel McCrea, Jody McCrea (his son), Carlos Romero, and
George Neise that aired on the NBC television network. The series began
September 30, 1959. How many seasons did the show air?
- 1 season
- 5 seasons
- 10 seasons
10. McCrea made his last film appearance in 1976.
What was the movie?
- The Gunfight at Dodge City
- Mustang Country
11. McCrea died from pneumonia.
12. Where is Joel McCrea buried?
- Cremated, ashes scattered at sea
- Westwood Memorial Park Cemetery, Westwood,
- Inglewood Park Cemetery, Inglewood, California