June 29, 1919, Kingsburg, California
Died: December 8, 1983 (age 64), Modesto, California
Louis Burton Lindley,
Jr., better known by the stage name Slim Pickens, was an American rodeo performer, and film and television actor,
who epitomized the profane, tough, sardonic cowboy, but who is best
remembered for his comic roles, notably in Dr. Strangelove and Blazing
What do you know about Slim Pickens? Lights, camera, action for
this quick quiz.
1. He was told that working in the rodeo would be "slim
pickings" (very little money), giving him his name, but he did very
well, eventually rising to become a well known rodeo clown — one of
the most dangerous jobs in show business.
2. What was his first film role?
Rocky Mountain (1950)
Come Back Stranger (1949)
3. What was the 1961 Marlon Brando movie he did?
- Man from Laramie
- One Eyed Jacks
4. Slim Pickens is Wiley, a drunken mule-packer in Major Dundee
5. Pickens played Buck, Stage Driver in the 1966 version of Stagecoach.
Who played Buck in the original 1939 version?
- Rex Allen
- Andy Devine
- Rod Cameron
6. Who does he play in Cowboys (1972
- Wil Andersen
- Slim Honeycutt
- Anse Peterson
7. What movie does he play flunky Taggart?
Ginger in the Morning (1974)
Down Laredo Way (1974)
8. Who does he play in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop
Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)?
- General Buck Turgidson, loosely based on Air Force General Curtis
LeMay, the strategic bombing expert and former head of SAC
- Major T. J. "King" Kong, the B-52 Stratofortress
- General Jack D. Ripper, who is paranoid and an ultra-patriot
9. He died at the age of 64. What was the cause?
- Heart Attack
- Auto accident
- After surgery for a brain tumor.
10. Where is Slim Pickens buried?
- Cremated, ashes given to family or friend.
- Old Stone Church Cemetery, Clemson, South Carolina
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California