August 4, 1910, Flushing, New York
Died: September 6, 2008 (age 98), Los Angeles, California
Anita Pomares, better known as Anita Page, was an American
film actress who reached stardom in the last years of the silent film
era, 1928. She became a highly popular young star, reportedly at one
point receiving the most fan mail of anyone on the MGM lot.
passed away in 2008 at age 98, was the last surviving "famous"
film star of the silent era except for child actresses like Baby Peggy
and Marie Osborne, although a small handful of silent leading ladies who
did not achieve Page's fame survive her.
What do you know about Anita Page? Try this quick quiz.
1. In 1925, what was her first film?
- Telling the World
- Love 'Em and Leave 'Em
- A Kiss for Cinderella
2. After a few small but well received parts, was offered a studio
contract They molded her into one of their biggest female stars of the
silent era, pairing her with such popular actors as Ramon Novarro and
William Haines. Who was the film studio?
3. She played Ann 'Annikins' in Our Dancing Daughters (1928).
The movie stars Joan Crawford. Who played opposite Joan Crawford?
- John Mack Brown
- Clark Gable
- Cary Grant
4. Pages stars in a 1929 musical motion picture and the first sound
film to win an Academy Award for Best Picture. It was released on
February 1, 1929. What is the movie?
- The Broadway Melody
- Cinnamon Strip
- Texas Hold'em
5. At the height of her popularity, she was receiving more fan mail
than any other female star, with the exception one actress. Who got more
- Joan Crawford
- Greta Garbo
- Alice Tatum
6. When her contract expired in 1933, she surprised Hollywood by
announcing her retirement at the age of 23. What was her last movie?
- Hitchhike to Heaven
- I Have Lived
- The Big Cage
7. She married a Navy pilot, in 1937 and they moved to Coronado,
California and lived there until his death in 1991. Who was the Navy
- Hershel A. House
- Morton Montgomery
- Colin Kelly, Jr.
8. Anita Page returned to the screen in 1996 after sixty years
retirement and appeared in several low budget horror films, several of
which appeared to have been uncompleted or not released. What was the
- Sunset After Dark
- Capital of Freedom
- Media Relations
9. Page died in her sleep on Saturday, September 6, 2008 in Los
Angeles, California of natural causes.
10. Where is Anita Page buried?
- Holy Cross Cemetery, San Diego, California
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Glendale), Glendale, California
- Hollywood Forever, Hollywood, California