Welcome to the ultimate film and TV western History and discover this primary reference resource.
Google

Web Alan's Trivia

Home >> FUN Trivia Quizzes >> Where Are Famous People Buried? >> "R" >> Hollywood: Accidents

Will Rogers

Born: November 4, 1879, Oologah, Indian Territory (now Oklahoma)
Died: August 15, 1935 (age 55), Point Barrow, Alaska Territory

Will Rogers - Trivia powered by ABEWilliam Penn Adair “Will” Rogers was a Cherokee-American cowboy, comedian, humorist, social commentator, vaudeville performer and actor. By the mid-1930s, Rogers was adored by the American people, and was the top-paid movie star in Hollywood at the time.

What do you know about Will Rogers. Rope this Quick Quiz.

1. Will Rogers was born on a ranch in Indian Territory, near present-day Oologah, Oklahoma. What was the ranch's name?

• Mayflower Days Ranch
  • Dog Iron Ranch
  • White House Ranch

2. Rogers went to South Africa and broke horses for the British Army. When the war ended, he began his show business career as a trick roper in "Texas Jack's Wild West Circus": He moved on to Australia, working on his trick roper and his pony act. In 1904, he returned to the United States and began to try his roping skills on the American vaudeville circuits.

• Fact or Myth?

3. A vaudeville producer came to see his vaudeville act, and quickly signed Rogers to appear on the Victoria Roof - which was literally on a rooftop - with his pony. For the next 10 years, Rogers estimated he worked for 50 weeks a year at the Roof and at the city's myriad vaudeville theaters. Who was the producer?

• Max Behr
  • William Hammerstein
  • William Windon

4. In 1908, who did Rogers marry?

• Betty Blake
  • Betty Baker
  • Betty Ritter

5. In the fall of 1915, Rogers began to appear in Midnight Frolic. The variety revue began at midnight in the top-floor night club of New Amsterdam Theatre. Who was the producer?

1. Florenz Ziegfeld
  2. Manfred Maxx
  3. Freddie Rogers

6. Rogers branched into silent films, for Samuel Goldwyn's company Goldwyn Pictures. He made his first silent movie, Laughing Bill Hyde, filmed in , in 1918. Where was the movie filmed?

• Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Hollywood, California
  • Fort Lee, New Jersey

7. "Well, what shall I talk about? I ain't got anything funny to say. All I know is what I read in the papers." He then made jokes about what he had read in that day's newspapers. The line "All I know is what I read in the papers" is often incorrectly described as Rogers's most famous punch line, when it was in fact his opening line.

• Fact or Myth?

8. One of Will Rogers's most famous lines, "I never yet met a man that I didn't like," was part of a longer quotation. Who did it originally refer to?

• Leon Trotsky
  • Babe Ruth
  • Teddy Roosevelt

9. An avid booster of aviation, Rogers undertook a flight around the world with a fellow Oklahoman, world-renowned aviator in the summer of 1935. Post's plane, an experimental and nose-heavy hybrid of Lockheed Explorer and Orion, crashed south of Barrow, Alaska, on August 15, 1935 when its engine failed on takeoff, killing both men. Who was the aviator?

• Wiley Post
  • Harold Gatty
  • George Phillips

10. Where is Will Rogers buried?

• Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills), Los Angeles, California
  • Tubac Cemetery, Tubac, Arizona
  • Will Rogers Museum, Claremore, Oklahoma

Will Rogers Answers

1. Dog Iron Ranch
  2. Fact
  3. William Hammerstein
  4. Betty Blake