Born: June 7, 1933, Rosedale, New York
Died: November 11, 2008 (aged 75), Rocky River, Ohio
Jude Score was a former Major League Baseball pitcher and announcer.
What do you know about Herb Score? Take this quick quiz.
1. What year did Score win American League Rookie of the Year honors
with the Cleveland Indians?
2. Score was a two time two time All-Star selection. True or False?
3. On May 7, 1957, against the New York Yankees, Score was struck in
the face by a line drive off a player's bat. He broke numerous bones in
his face and leaving him quite bloodied. Score eventually recovered his
20/20 vision, though he missed the rest of the season. Score returned
late in the 1958 season. Who was the Yankee player?
4. What injury happened on a damp night against the Washington
He sat out the rest of the season but, returning for 1959, he'd
shifted his pitching motion in a bid to avoid another, similar injury.
"The reason my motion changed," he told Pluto, "was
because I hurt my elbow, and I overcompensated for it and ended up with
some bad habits."
5. Score's velocity dropped and he became prone to injury as a result
of the changed motion. Score pitched the full 1959 season, going 9–11
with a 4.71 ERA and 147 strikeouts. What team was he traded to after the
end of the season?
6. After retiring, Score served as an announcer on the teams
television broadcast from 1964–1967, and joined the radio broadcast,
serving from 1968–1997. What was the team?
7. On October 8, 1998, while driving to Florida after being inducted
into the Broadcasters Hall of Fame the night before, Score was severely
injured in a traffic accident. Score pulled into the path of a westbound
tractor-trailer truck in New Philadelphia, Ohio; and his car was struck
in the passenger side. He suffered trauma to his brain, chest and lungs.
The orbital bone around one of his eyes was broken as were three ribs
and his sternum. He spent over a month in the intensive care unit, and
was released from MetroHealth Hospital in mid-December. He was cited for
failure to stop at a stop sign. He fought through a difficult recovery
and was healthy enough to throw out the first pitch at the Indians
Opening Day on April 12, 1999. True or False?
8. What was the cause of Herb Score's death?
9. Where is Herb Score buried?