Born: October 2, 1841, Sabine Parish, Louisiana
Died: February 16, 1922, (age 80), Douglas, Arizona
Horton Slaughter (or Texas John Slaughter) was an
American lawman, Civil War soldier, gambler and rancher.
What do you know about Texas John Slaughter? Try this quick quiz.
1. After serving during the Civil War, in the army of the
Confederacy, Slaughter was a member of the famed Texas Rangers, before
becoming a cattle business man around 1874.
2. When did Slaughter marry Eliza Adeline Harris?
- August 4, 1875
- August 4, 1871
- August 4, 1861
3. In a gambling feud, who did Slaughter kill with a shot to the
heart at his ranch in 1876?
- John Goreman
- Mark Reynolds
- Barney Gallagher
4. His wife Eliza died of in Tucson, Arizona. What was the cause of
- Chicken pox
5. On April 16, 1878, Slaughter married Viola Howell at Tularosa, New
Mexico. How old was Viola?
- 16-years old
- 21 years old
- 35 years old
6. In November of 1886, he was elected sheriff. Where was he elected
- El Paso County, Texas
- Pima County, Arizona
- Cochise County, Arizona
7. Who was thee former Texas Ranger and later Deputy US Marshal that
was one of his chief detectives?
- Jeff Milton
- Rex Reason
- Tim Allen
8. Slaughter decided to move to Douglas, Arizona. He bought a large
area of land there, 60,000 feet at $1 dollar and twenty five cents for
each foot. This became known as the San Bernardino Ranch, which had a
particular characteristic: the home in the ranch, much to Viola
Slaughter's enjoyment, was located over the U.S.-Mexico border lines;
therefore, half of the house was in the United States, the other half in
9. In 1958, who played Slaughter in the Disney series called Texas
John Slaughter in 1958?
- Tom Tryon
- Chuck Connors
- Ralph Moore
10. Where is John Slaughter buried?
- Holy Hope Cemetery & Mausoleum, Tucson, Arizona,
- Evergreen Cemetery, Tucson, Arizona,
- Calvary Cemetery, Douglas, Arizona