Civil War: Liberty
and Union, Now and Forever?
What do you know about Civil War: Liberty
and Union, Now and Forever? Try this
Civil War FUN Trivia Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
1) What Senator in replying to Senator Robert Y.
Hayne of South Carolina said, "liberty and union, now and forever, one
2) In 1842, the publisher of a Northern abolitionist
newspaper call for Northerners to break with the Union because the
Constitution protected slavery. Who is this publisher?
- Daniel Webster
- Abraham Lincoln
- Jefferson Davis
3) In 1845, an African-American slave escaped from
Maryland to the Northern free states. He wrote in his autobiography about
the collective inhumanity of slavery. Who was this former slave?
- William Randolph Hearst
- James K. Garfield
- William Lloyd Garrison
4) What was the name of the secret network that
helped fugitive slaves escape from the South to the free states of the
North and, sometimes, into Canada?
- Frederick Douglas
- Warren Prigg
- Marvin G. Buckhannon
- B&O Railroad
- Underground Railroad
- Southern Subway
5) In 1821, Stephen F. Austin took over his father
Moses, Texas land grant from the Mexican government. By 1836, the American
population of Texas was 50,000 people. What was the Mexican population?
6) In the fight for Texas independence, between 189
to 257 defenders of the Alamo help out for 10 days. What was the date that
1,400 Mexican troops under the command of Mexican President Antonio Lopez
de Santa Anna defeated the defenders at the Alamo?
- March 1, 1836
- March 3, 1836
- March 6, 1836
7) On December 29, 1845, Texas became a slave holding
state in the Union. A few months later, May 13, 1846, the United States
declared war on Mexico. What date did Santa Anna surrender to General
- August 17, 1847
- September 17, 1847
- October 17, 1847
8) What state was NOT given from the
U.S.-Mexican �The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo?
- North Dakota
9) What was discovered in California on January 24,
10) Of the new territories, what became the 31st
State in 1850?