1) On June 15, who assigned Gen. Robert S. Garnett
to reorganize the Confederate forces in Western Virginia (now West
- Jefferson Davis
- Thomas J. Jackson
- Robert E. Lee
2) Garnett deployed his forces at strategic
points along the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike, hoping to defend
the vital supply route from the Federal troops.
3) Who was the Union commander of the Union forces in
Rutherford B. Hayes
George B. McClellan
4) On July 11, 1861, what battle did Garnett’s forces
- Battle of Grafton
- Battle of Lowndes Hill
- Battle of Rich Mountain
5) In a midnight retreat, where did Garnett withdraw
- Rock Cave
6) Garnett received false information that
McClellan's men occupied the town. The Confederates backtracked.
Where did they abandoned the Turnpike?
7) What mountain did the Confederate force cross?
- Bald Knob
- Cheat Mountain
- Spruce Mountain
8) Who pursued Garnett and his 4,500 troops with his
- Union Col. Thomas A. Edison
- Union Brig. Gen. James A. Garfield
- Union Brig. Gen. Thomas A. Morris
9) Around noon on July 13, Union troops
overtook Garnett's rear guard at Corrick's Ford and attacked the
What town is Corrick’s Ford
10) Garnett withdrew to another ford a mile or
two farther away. The running skirmish resumed and as Garnett
again prepared to retreat, a Union volley killed him instantly.
The Confederates fled, abandoning their dead commander, one
cannon, and nearly 40 wagons.
11) A friend in the Union Army recovered
Garnett's body after the battle. He was the first general officer
killed in the Civil War.
Where is Gen. Robert S.
- next to his wife in Champlain Estate Cemetery in Lloyds,
- next to his wife in Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, New
- next to his wife in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond,