of Shiloh - Battle Begins
April 6 - 7, 1862
What do you know about Battle
Try this Alan’s US Civil War
“Check Your Answers”
at the end of the page.
Take 2 points for each right
answer. Maximum this page: 20 points!
1) After the losses of Fort Henry and Fort Donelson
in February 1862, the commanding Confederate general withdrew his forces
into western Tennessee, northern Mississippi, and Alabama to reorganize.
2) In early March, Union Maj. Gen. Henry W. Halleck,
commander of the Western Theater, responded by ordering Grant to advance
his Army of West Tennessee on an invasion up the Tennessee River.
would Grants unit become known as?
- Army of the Lincoln
- Army of the Tennessee
- Army of the Colorado
3) Because of professional and personal animosity
toward Grant, Halleck initially designated a Grant's subordinate to lead
the expedition, while Grant sat idly at Fort Henry. After President
Abraham Lincoln intervened with Halleck and he was injured, Grant was
restored to full command.
In the beginning,
who lead the expedition?
- Maj. Gen. C.F. Smith
- Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman
- Maj. Gen. Mathew Ridgeway
4) Grant's orders from Halleck were to link up with
Don Carlos Buell's Army of the Ohio, marching from Nashville, and advance
south in a joint offensive to seize the railroad a vital supply line
between the Mississippi River Valley, Memphis, and Richmond.
What was the
name of the railroad?
- Richmond & New Orleans Railroad
- Memphis & Charleston Railroad
- Vicksburg, Memphis & Richmond Railroad
5) Grant's army of 48,894 men consisted of six
Who was NOT a division commander?
- John A. McClernand
- Stephen A. Hurlbut
- Samuel Clemens
6) Five of the divisions were encamped on the
western edge of the Tennessee River. At Pittsburg Landing Grant's army was
spread out in bivouac style, many around the small log church. The
church was named after the Hebrew word that means "place of
What is the name?
7) Albert Sidney Johnston concentrated almost 55,000
men around Corinth, Mississippi, about 20 miles southwest of Grant's
What did he name his newly assembled force?
- Army of the South
- Army of Tennessee
- Army of Mississippi
8) Albert Sidney Johnston organized his force into
four large corps.
Who was NOT a corps commander?
- Leonidas Polk
- Braxton Bragg
- John S. Patton
9) Johnston's plan was to attack Grant's left and
separate the Union army from its gunboat support (and avenue of retreat)
on the Tennessee River, driving it west into the swamps of Snake and Owl
Creeks, where it could be destroyed.
10) Johnston had to delay his attack.
What was the
original target date?
- April 1
- April 3
- April 4