James River (Virginia)
The James River is in the state of Virginia. It is the 12th
longest river in the United States that remains entirely within a single
do you know about the James River? Explore the Quick US Geography Rivers
and Streams Quiz. "Check Your Answers" at the end of
1. How long is the James River?
- 210 miles
- 310 miles
- 410 miles
2. The James River forms in the Allegheny Mountains, near on the
border between Alleghany and Botetourt counties from the confluence of
two rivers. What is the nearby town?
- Iron Gate
3. What did the American Indians who populated the area east of the
fall line in the late 16th and early 17th centuries called the James
4. for the first five years, despite many hopes of gold and riches,
these ships sent little of monetary value back to the sponsors. In 1612,
a English businessman successfully cultivated a non-native strain of
tobacco which proved popular in England. Soon, the river became the
primary means of exporting the large hogsheads of this cash crop from an
ever-growing number of plantations with wharfs along its banks. Who was
- John Smith
- John Rolfe
- John Mansfield
5. The James River was also considered as a route for transport of
produce from the Ohio Valley. A cancal was built for this purpose. What
was the name of the canal?
- James River and Ohio Canal
- Richmond and Allegheny Canal
- James River and Kanawha Canal
6. The most intense whitewater stretch is a two mile segment that
ends in downtown Richmond where the river goes over the fall line.
7. The Appomattox River is a tributary of the James River flow into
8. In the Chesapeake watershed, the James River is the last confirmed
holdout for the nearly extirpated Atlantic sturgeon. In May 2007 a
survey identified 175 sturgeon remaining in the entire river, with 15
specimens exceeding five feet.
9. What is the river that begins about 20 miles northwest of
Richmond, Virginia and flows southeast and south to the James River?
- Mechanicsville River
- Powhatan River
- Chickahominy River
10. At the mouth of the James River, where does it flow?
- Delaware Bay
- Jamestown Bay
- Hampton Roads