Texas History Made Easy Trivia
The written history of Texas dates to 1519, when Alonso �lvarez de
Pineda explored the northern Gulf Coast, although the region was first
settled by indigenous peoples around 10,000 B.C. Since 1519, parts of
Texas have been claimed by six countries: Spain, France, Mexico, the
Republic of Texas, the United States of America, and the Confederate
States of America.
What do you know about Texas history? Try this Texas History Made
Easy Trivia quiz.
American Indians determined the fate of European explorers and
settlers depending on whether a tribe was friendly or warlike. Friendly
tribes taught newcomers how to grow indigenous crops, prepare foods, and
hunting methods for wild game. Warlike tribes made life unpleasant,
difficult and dangerous for explorers and settlers through their attacks
and resistance to European conquest.
2. Who created the first map of the northern Gulf Coast, which is the
earliest recorded document of Texas history?
- Francisco de Garay
- Christopher de Marvel
- Alonso �lvarez de Pineda
3. French settlers landed at Matagorda Bay in early 1685, 400 miles
west of the Mississippi. In February, the colonists constructed a fort.
What was the name of the fort?
- Fort Bourbon
- Fort Saint Louis
- Fort La Salle
4. In March 1690, Alonso De Le�n led an expedition to establish a
mission in East Texas. Mission San Franciso de los Tejas was completed
near the Hasinai village of Nabedaches in late May. When was its first
5. On January 23, 1691, Spain appointed the first governor of Texas.
Who was the first governor?
- Alonso De Le�n
- General Domingo Ter�n de los R�os
- Juan Bautista
6. In 1762, France finally relinquished their claim to Texas by
ceding all of Louisiana west of the Mississippi River to Spain as part
of the treaty to end the Seven Years War.
7. In January 1790, the Comanche also helped the Spanish fight a
large battle against the Mescalero and Lipan Apaches at Soledad Creek
west of San Antonio. What was the name of the creek
- Saints Creek
- Red Cloud Creek
- Soledad Creek
8. The Mexican War for Independence severed the control that Spain
had exercised on its North American territories, and the new country of
Mexico was formed from much of the lands that had comprised New Spain,
including Spanish Texas. When was the war?
9. The first grant had been made under Spanish control to Moses
Austin. The grant was passed to his son Stephen F. Austin, whose
settlers who settled along the Brazos River in 1822. What were they
- Austin's Minions
- Old Three Hundred
- Austin's Rangers
10. What battle launched the Texas Revolution in 1835?
- Battle of the Alamo
- Battle of Gonzales
- Battle of Lopez