Geology of West Virginia
Choose an answer from the three choices and True-False
offered after each question and then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
Early in the succeeding Period, the area in West Virginia dropped to
near sea level and for more than 50 million years continued to sink at
about the same rate that deposition was taking place. What is the name
of the period?
2. The oldest evidences of life found in West Virginia occur in rocks
about 600 million years old, in the Antietam Formation of Lower Cambrian
3. How many species and subspecies of mammals does the "Mountain
4. What is the name of the Botanical Area with a group of five bog
wetlands located in the Gauley Ranger District of the Monongahela
- Spruce Knob Botanical Area
- Mountain Top Botanical Area
- Cranberry Glades Botanical Area
5. The Mountain State's water habitat holds 14 families of fish.
6. The Allegheny and Cumberland Plateaus of West Virginia are
predominantly covered by hardwood forests, but along the Ohio River and
its principal tributaries, the valuable timber has been removed and
considerable areas have been wholly cleared over the centuries for
farming and pasture lands.
7. Formed in December 13, 1753, what is West Virginia�s Oldest
8. What city is NOT in dispute as the oldest town in
West Virginia December 1762?
9. What is the Geographical Center of State?
10. What is an important medicinal plant that is harvested primarily
in West Virginia's southern regions.
- Wild ginger
Page 1 of 1