History Made Easy Q
What do you know about
the Mannington, WV History Made Easy Q
Try this West
Virginia History Made Easy Q & A.
Your Answers" at the end of the page.
The title of this historical marker is: Mannington/Flaggy Meadow. Inscription: Once called Koontown but renamed in 1856 when
chartered as town by Va. Assembly. Incorporated under W. Va. law
in 1871. Abundant natural gas attracted diverse industry by 1900.
Brick, glass and boiler factories, machine shops, granite works,
Bowers Pottery Co., among world's largest sanitary products maker,
& Phillips Tool Co., serving the coal, oil and gas industries,
were located here.
One mi. south at Flaggy Meadow is site of the first oil well in
the Mannington field, drilled 11 Oct. 1889. Location was
scientifically verified by geologist I. C. White (1848-1927) using
the anticlinal theory. Oil and gas boom sparked industrial growth
in Mannington. Also at Flaggy Meadow is uncommon round barn built
by Amos Hamilton in 1912 at cost of $1,900. The location of the
historical marker is just east of Mannington, US 250 & Flaggy
Meadow Rd. (County Route 11)
What is the cost in 2010
2) One of the first settlers in the area was
born in the valley of the South Branch of the Potomac River in
what was then Virginia. As a child, he and his father searched in
vain for his mother, two sisters and brother who had been captured
by the Indians. The mother was never found, although the children
ultimately were. Only his brother, known from then on as "Indian
Billy" returned to the family. The sisters chose to remain with
their one time captors.
Who was the early pioneer?
- Robert Curtis
3) What is the elevation of Mannington?
- 974 feet
- 1,974 feet
- 2,974 feet
4) The earliest population concentration was
not in present-day now Mannington, but rather approximately two
miles west of Dent's Run.
5) Most of the land now falling within the
Mannington city limits, some 1,360 acres, was owned by a
Revolutionary War financier and an intimate friend of George
Who was this financier?
- Robert Rutherford
- Okie Gower
- Walter White
6) He was a surveyor living in Monongalia
County, who parceled the land and began selling it. The final
transaction occurred in 1840 and it was then that the area now
known as Mannington had its origins.
Who was the
- Raymond Blake
- James Hanway
- John Morgan
7) By 1850 a tavern owned by George and Samuel
Koon appeared in the heart of the burgeoning town. Not long after
the tavern was opened, the Forks of Buffalo began to be known as
What year did they open the tavern?
8) The village officially became known as
Mannington, named after Charles Manning, a civil engineer with the
Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad.
What year did it
officially become Mannington?
9) In 1889 with the first oil drilling,
following recommendations made by Dr. I. C. White, a well-known
geologist who later became West Virginia State Geologist. Although
many felt that the area was unfavorable for oil reserves, White
persisted and soon gained enough local support to drill. Following
the first strike, late in 1889, real estate prices soared 100% in
two days in a boom-town mentality. The Mannington field became one
of the largest in the State.
How much oil did the
largest well produce?
- 1,600 barrels per day
- 2,600 barrels per day
- 3,600 barrels per day
10) A National Register of Historic Place in
Mannington is the Hamilton Round Barn on County Route 11.
When was it list in the NRHP?
- July 9, 1985
- July 9, 1987
- July 9, 1989
11) Roughly bounded by High, Clarksburg and
Howard Sts. and Buffalo Creek is Mannington Historic District.
When was it listed by the National Register of Historic
- September 22, 1995
- October 22, 1995
- November 22, 1995
12) At 917 E. Main St. is a National Register
of Historic site listed on November 29, 2001.
- Mannington Trolley
- Schaffer Tavern
- Wilson School