What do you know about The Mayflower? Try this US History Made Easy Quiz. "Check Your Answers" at the end of
The Mayflower was the famous ship that transported the English
Separatists, better known as the Pilgrims, from Southampton, England. When
did the Mayflower leave Southampton?
- September 6, 1620
- September 16, 1620
- September 26, 1620
2. What was the ship original destination?
- Hudson River
- Cape Cod
3. When did it arrive at the tip of Cape Cod (Provincetown Harbor)?
- November 1, 1620
- November 11, 1620
- November 21, 1620
4. On March 28, 1621, all surviving passengers, who had inhabited the
ship during the winter, moved ashore at Plymouth.
5. When did the Mayflower, a privately commissioned vessel,
returned to England?
- April 15, 1621
- April 25, 1621
- May 5, 1621
6. The Mayflower was used primarily as a cargo ship, involved in
active trade of goods (often wine) between England and other European
countries, (principally France, but also Norway, Germany, and Spain). At
least between 1609 and 1622, it was mastered by Christopher Jones, who
would command the ship on the famous transatlantic voyage, and based in
Rotherhithe, London, England.
7. Initially, the plan was for the voyage to be made in two vessels,
the other being a the smaller , which had transported some of the Pilgrims
embarking on the voyage from Delfshaven in the Netherlands to Southampton,
England. What was the second ship's name?
- God Speed
8. After two failed attempts of two ships, everyone boarded the Mayflower
for its journey to the New World. How many Pilgrim passengers were
originally aboard the Mayflower?
9. After the famous voyage of the Mayflower, the ship returned to
England, likely dismantled for scrap lumber in Rotherhithe in 1623, only a
year after Christopher Jones death in March 1622.
10. When was Mayflower II launched from Devon, England?