Lewis and Clark Expedition (1805)
What do you know about
Lewis and Clark Expedition (1805)?
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
Take 2 points
for each right answer. Maximum this page: 20
On February 11, Sacagawea gives birth to Jean Batiste Charbonneau, the
youngest member of the expedition. Jean Batiste is nicknamed
"Pomp" by Clark. Lewis aided in the delivery of Sacagawea's
baby, used rattle of rattlesnake to aid delivery. (Jessaume's idea).
2) When did the expedition leave Fort Mandan?
3) On April 25, the expedition reaches the Yellowstone River. Roche Jaune-sent Joseph Field up river to find yellowstoner-saw Big Horn Sheep
and brought back horns. Lewis searched area thought it would be a good
area for fort.
What was a fort built here?
4) On May 14, a sudden storm tips a pirogue (boat) and many items, such
as supplies and the Corps' journals, spill over into the river.
recovers most of the items; Clark later credits their with quick thinking.
5) On June 3, they reach the mouth of the Marias River.
What is the
name of the camp they set up?
6) On June 13, scout ahead of the expedition.
What does Lewis and four
Great Falls of the Missouri River
7) On August 17, a council meets with the Shoshone, during which
Sacagawea learns the fate of her family and reveals that tribal leader Cameahwait is her brother. Lewis and Clark successfully negotiate for
horses for passage over the Rocky Mountains. They buy 29 horses for
packing or eating with uniforms, rifles, powder, balls, and a pistol. They
also hire Indian guide Old Toby.
8) On August 26, Lewis and the main party cross the Continental Divide.
Where do they cross?
9) On October 18, Clark sees a peak, which means they are now back in
previously explored territory.
What is the peak's name?
10) What day did the reach the Pacific Ocean?