July 21, 1851
in Mitchell, Indiana
Died: July 21, 1878 (age 27) Round Rock, Texas
Sam Bass was a nineteenth-century train robber and Old West
What do you know about Sam Bass? Try this US
Old West History Made Easy Quiz. "Check Your Answers" at the end of
How old was Bass when he became an orphan?
- 6 years old
- 10 years old
- 13 years old
2. When did he move to Denton, Texas?
3. After failing at a series of legitimate
enterprises, Bass turned to crime. Bass formed a gang and robbed the
Union Pacific gold train from San Francisco. What was the date of the
- September 8, 1877
- September 18, 1877
- September 28, 1877
4. In 1878, they held up two stagecoaches and four
trains within twenty-five miles of Dallas and became the object of a
manhunt by Pinkerton Agents and by a special company of the Texas
Rangers headed by Captain Junius Peak.
5. Bass was able to elude the Rangers until a
member of his gang turned informant. Who was the gang member?
- Jim Murphy
- John Wesley Hardin
- Dave Rudabaugh
6. Texas Ranger Captain John B. Jones was informed
of Bass's movements, and set up an ambush at Round Rock, Texas. What
were they going to rob in Round Rock , Texas?
- Texas and New Mexico Railroad
- Cummings Overland Stage
- Williamson County Bank
7. On July 21, 1878, Bass and his gang were
scouting the area before the robbery. When they bought some tobacco at a
store, they were noticed by Deputy Sheriff A. W. Grimes. When Grimes
approached the men to request that they surrender their sidearms, he was
shot and killed.
8. As he attempted to flee, Bass was shot. Who
shot Sam Bass?
- Ranger George Herold
- Ranger George Rogers
- Ranger George Autry
9. Where is Bass's original headstone kept?
- Round Rock Texas Ranger Office
- Webster County Courthouse
- Round Rock Public Library
10. Where is Sam Bass buried?
- Woodlawn Cemetery, Fairmont, West Virginia
- Round Rock Cemetery, Round Rock, Texas
- Queen of Heaven Cemetery, Hillside, Illinois