Born: February 5, 1848, near Carthage, Missouri
Died: February 3, 1889 (age 40), near Porum, Oklahoma
Maybelle Shirley Reed Starr, better known as Belle Starr was
a famous American female outlaw.
What do you know about Belle Starr? Try this US
Old West History Made Easy Quiz. "Check Your Answers" at the end of
1) In the 1860s her father sold the farm and moved the family to
Carthage where he bought an inn and livery stable on the town square.
May Shirley received a classical education and learned piano, while
graduating from Missouri's Carthage Female Academy, a genteel
institution her father had helped to found.
2) After a Union attack on Carthage in 1864, where did the Shirleys
- Scyene, Texas
- Clinton, Indian Territory
- Fort Smith, Arkansas
3. Who did her brother John Alexander Shirley (known as Bud) served
- Quantrill's Raiders
- "Bloody Bill" Anderson Guerrillas
- Cantrell Raiders
4. In 1866, who did she marry?
- Jim Reed
- Rex Allen
- Will Contrell
5. In 1868, she gave birth to her first child, Rosie Lee (nicknamed
True or False?
6. Her husband turned to crime and was wanted for murder in Arkansas,
which caused the family to move, where their second child, James Edwin
(Eddie) was born in 1871. Where did they move to?
- Dakota Territory
7. They returned to Texas. When despite a lack of any evidence, a
warrant was issued for her arrest for a stage coach robbery by her
husband and others. When was warrant issued?
- March 1874
- April 1874
- May 1874
8. In 1880 she married Sam Starr and settled with the Starr family in
the Indian Territory. In 1883, Belle and Sam were charged with horse
theft and tried before "The Hanging Judge" Isaac Parker's
Federal District Court in Fort Smith, Arkansas. She was found guilty and
served nine months at the Detroit House of Corrections in Detroit,
9. On December 17, 1886 Sam Starr was involved in a gunfight. Sam was
killed. Who was the gunfight with?
- Officer Frank West
- Office Josey Wales
- Officer Sam Cooke
10. On February 3, 1889, two days before her 41st birthday, she was
riding home from a neighbor's house, when she was ambushed while eating
a piece of cornbread. After she fell off her horse, she was shot again
to make sure she was dead. Her death resulted from shotgun wounds to the
back and neck and in the shoulder and face. Who killed her?
- Edgar J. Watson
- James Edwin (Eddie) Reed
11) Where is Belle Starr buried?
- Belle Star Cabin, Porum, Oklahoma
- Greenhill Cemetery, Muskogee, Oklahoma
- Memorial Park Cemetery, Muskogee, Oklahoma