April 24, 1851, Pella, Iowa
Died: March 18, 1882 (age 31), Tombstone, Arizona
Seth Earp was the younger brother of Wyatt Earp, the famous
gunfighter. Morgan was involved in the gunfight at the O.K. Corral,
where he was wounded. His assassination in Tombstone was part of a wave
of vendetta killing in the southeastern Arizona Territory.
What do you know about Morgan
Earp? Try this
US Old West History Made Easy Quiz. "Check
Your Answers" at the end of the page.
1. In 1875 Morgan departed the Earp clan living in in Wichita,
Kansas, and became a deputy sheriff at Dodge City. What Dodge City
Sheriff did he work for?
- Charlie Bassett
- Bat Masterson
- Wyatt Earp
2. Who was his common-law wife?
- Louisa A. Houston
- Rachael Ward
- Mary Cummings
3. Who was the Tombstone Chief of Police when Morgan became a deputy?
- Rex Reason
- Glenn Strange
- Virgil Earp
4. On October 20 Morgan went to Tucson to find Doc Holliday and bring
him back in an attempt to avoid some trouble with Ike Clanton.
5. Morgan cut his teeth as deputy sheriff during three cattle seasons
in Dodge City. Following this Earp saw much law enforcement action as
town marshal of Butte, Montana, (1878) and later as policeman there. He
also survived a 1879 gun duel in Miles City, Montana - killing his man -
a notorious Brooks brother.
6. Morgan was not wounded during the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.
7. By February 1882, Morgan had seen enough of the general danger to
the Earps in Tombstone and sent his common-law wife Louisa Houston Earp
to Colton, California. Morgan chose to remain in Tombstone to guard
Virgil, support Wyatt, and continue to work in law enforcement. Who did
she live with in Colton?
- Her parents
- Virgil's parents
- Louisa's sister
8. Morgan was ambushed about 10 P.M. on Saturday, March 18, 1882.
After going to see a musical, he went to play a late round of pool
against owner Bob Hatch at the Campbell & Hatch Billiard Parlor on
Allen Street, in Tombstone. There, while playing, he was hit by a rifle
shot to the side of his lower back. An attempt was made on another
person, who was it?
9. The bullet that hit Morgan shattered his spine and passed through
his left kidney. How long did Morgan live after being shot?
- 5 minutes
- One hour
10. Morgan was first buried in the old city cemetery of Colton, near
Mount Slover. When the cemetery was moved in 1892, Morgan's body was
reburied. Where is Morgan Earp buried?
- Hills of Eternity, Colma, California
- Hermosa Cemetery, Colton, California
- Holy Cross Cemetery, Tombstone, Arizona