19, 1848 Monmouth, Illinois
Died: January 13, 1929 (age 80), Los Angeles, California
Berry Stapp Earp was an American farmer,
teamster, sometime buffalo hunter, officer of the law in various Western
frontier towns, gambler, saloon-keeper, miner, and boxing referee.
He is best known for his participation in the
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, along with Doc Holliday, and two of his
brothers, Virgil Earp and Morgan Earp. He is also noted for the Earp
Vendetta. Wyatt Earp has become an iconic figure in American folk
He is the major subject of various movies, TV
shows, biographies and works of fiction.
What do you know about
Wyatt Earp? Try this
US Old West History Made Easy Quiz. "Check
Your Answers" at the end of the page.
1. In 1865, what was Wyatt's first occupation?
- Cattle rustler
- Wagon driver
2. In the spring of 1868, the Earps settled in
Lamar, Missouri, where Nicholas became the local constable. When
Nicholas resigned to become justice of the peace on November 17, 1869,
Wyatt was appointed constable in place of his father. On January 10,
1870, in Lamar, Missouri, Earp married his first wife, Urilla
3. Earp officially joined the marshal's office on
April 21, 1875, after the election of Mike Meagher as city marshal.
Where did he become a deputy?
- Wichita, Kansas
- Hope, Kansas
- River City, Kansas
4. In 1876, he worked with the Dodge City police.
Who was on the police force?
- Rob Minor
- Bat Masterson
- Kim Hunter
5. Who saved Wyatt's life in Dodge City, Kansas in
- Morgan Earp
- Lucas McCain
- Doc Holliday
6. Wyatt and his older brothers James (Jim) and
Virgil moved to silver-mining boomtown Tombstone, in the Arizona
Territory, in December 1879. Jim worked as a barkeep. Virgil was
appointed deputy U.S. marshal, just prior to arriving in Tombstone.
Wyatt rode shotgun for a stage company. Who did Wyatt work for?
- Wells Fargo
7. When did the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
- July 4, 1878
- October 26, 1881
- December 1, 1882
8. The Earp Vendatta was revenge for a killing.
Who was killed?
- Virgil Earp
- Marshall Cogburn
- Morgan Earp
9. Wyatt Earp died at home in the Earps' small
apartment at 4004 W 17th Street, in Los Angeles, of chronic cystitis
(some sources cite prostate cancer)
10. Where is Wyatt Earp buried?
- Cremated, buried Hills of Eternity Memorial
Park Cemetery Colma, California
- Hermosa Cemetery, Colton, California
- Forest Lawn Memorial Gardens, Glendale,