James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok
May 27, 1837, Troy Grove, Illinois
August 2, 1876 (age 39), Deadwood, Dakota Territory
Butler Hickok, better known as
Wild Bill Hickok, was a figure
in the American Old West. His skills as a gunfighter and scout, along
with his reputation as a lawman, provided the basis for his fame,
although some of his exploits are fictionalized. His nickname of
Bill has inspired similar nicknames for men named William (even
though that was not Hickok's name) who were known for their daring in
various fields. Hickok's horse was called Black Nell, and he owned two
Colt 1851 Navy Revolvers.
What do you know about
"Wild Bill" Hickok? Try this
US Old West History Made Easy Quiz. "Check
Your Answers" at the end of the page.
1) In 1855 at the age of 18, what future Old West Legend did he meet?
- Buffalo Bill Cody
- Wyatt Earp
- Tom Mix
2) While he was growing up, his father's farm was one of the stops on
the Underground Railroad, and he learned his shooting skills protecting
the farm with his father from anti-abolitionists.
3) Due to his "sweeping nose and protruding upper lip",
what was Hickok's nicknamed?
- Duck Bill
- Mad Bill
- Buffalo Bill
4) Who was David McCanles?
- First man Hickok killed.
- First man killed during the civil war.
- Hickok's brother-in-law.
5) On July 21, 1865, in the town square of, Hickok killed Davis Tutt,
Jr. in a "quick draw" duel. Where did the gunfight happen?
- Springfield, Missour
- Hays, Kansas
- Abilene, Kansas
6) In 1867, Hickok took a break from the west and moved to Niagara
Falls where he tried his hand at acting in a stage play. What was the
name of the play?
- "The Daring Buffalo Chases of the Plains"
- "Wild Bill Rides Again"
- "The Last Shoot Out"
6) On October 5, 1871, Hickok had a gunfight with Phil Coe. Abilene
Marshall Hickok killed Coe and accidentally killed another man. Who was
- Abilene Special Deputy Marshal Mike Williams
- Abilene mayor Will Jennifer
- A local school boy Willie Moses
7) Who did
NOT claim they had married Hickok?
- Calamity Jane
- Agnes Thatcher Lake
- Doris von Kappelhoff
8) On August 2, 1876, while playing poker at Nuttal & Mann's
Saloon No. 10 in in the Black Hills, Dakota Territory, Hickok was killed
by Jack McCall. What was the community's name?
9) Where is Wild Bill Hickok buried?
- Holy Cross Cemetery, Kansas City, Missouri
- Boot Hill Cemetery, Abilene, Kansas
- Mount Moriah Cemetery, Deadwood, South Dakota