August 14, 1851, Griffin, Georgia
November 8, 1887 (age 36), Glenwood Springs,
Henry "Doc" Holliday was an American dentist, gambler, and
gunfighter of the American Old West frontier who is usually remembered
for his friendship with Wyatt Earp and the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.
What do you know about
"Doc" Holliday? Try this
US Old West History Made Easy Quiz. "Check
Your Answers" at the end of the page.
1. On September 16, 1866, what did Holliday's mother died of?
- Hurricane accident
2. In 1870, the nineteen-year-old Holliday left home to begin dental
school. Where did he attend dental school and get his Doctor of Dental
- Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery
- Allegheny College of Dental Surgery
- Duke College of Dental Surgery
3. He opened a dental office with Arthur C. Ford in Atlanta. He was
diagnosed with tuberculosis (generally called "consumption" in
that era). He was given only a few months to live, but thought moving to
the drier and warmer southwestern United States might reduce the
deterioration of his health. In September 1873, where did he open a
- Tombstone, Arizona
- Dodge City, Kansas
- Dallas, Texas
4. He soon began gambling and realized this was a more profitable
source of income, since patients feared going to his office because of
his ongoing cough.
5. By 1877, Holliday was in Fort Griffin, Texas, where Wyatt Earp
remembered first meeting him. They were initially introduced through
mutual friend John Shanssey. Who else did he meet?
- Johnny Behan
- Buffalo Bill Cody
- Mary Katharine Horony ("Big Nose Kate")
6. Wyatt's and Holliday's friendship was cemented in 1878 in Dodge
City, Kansas, when Holliday defended Earp in a saloon against a handful
of cowboys out to kill Wyatt. Where did the event happen?
- Los Vegas, Nevada
- Los Vegas, New Mexico
- Dodge City, Kansas
7. What weapon did Holliday carry into the Gunfight at the O.K.
- Colt .45
- Winchester '73
8. After the Earp families left for California and safety, Holliday,
Wyatt, Wyatt's younger brother, Warren, and a few of Wyatt's friends,
rode on a vendetta for three weeks, during which Curly Bill Brocius and
at least two other men thought to be responsible for Morgan's death were
killed. Who was NOT
a member of the Earp Vendetta Ride?
- William S. Hart
- Turkey Creek Jack Johnson
- Texas Jack Vermillion
9. Holliday spent the rest of his life in Colorado. After a stay in
Leadville, he suffered from the effects of the high altitude; as a
result of this and his increasing dependence on alcohol and laudanum,
often taken by consumptives to ease their symptoms, his health, and
evidently his gambling skills, began to deteriorate badly.
10. Where is Doc Holliday buried?
- Pioneer Cemetery, Glenwood Springs, Colorado
- Rosebud Cemetery, Glenwood Springs, Colorado
- Gunnison Cemetery, Gunnison, Colorado