September 5, 1847, Clay County, Missouri
Died: April 3, 1882 (age 34), St. Joseph,
Woodson James was an American outlaw in the state of Missouri and
the most famous member of the James-Younger Gang. After his death, he
became a legendary figure of the Wild West.
What do you know about
Jesse James? Try this
US Old West History Made Easy Quiz. "Check
Your Answers" at the end of the page.
1) Robert James (Jesses' father) owned six slaves; after his death,
Zerelda (Jesse's mother) and Reuben Samuel acquired a total of seven
slaves who raised tobacco on the farm.
2) Frank and Jesse joined the bushwhacker group. Who led the group?
- Bloody Bill Anderson
- William J. Johnson
- Josey Wales
3) Jesse, bed-ridden with his chest wound, was tended to by Zerelda
"Zee" Mimms. She become his wife nine years later. What was her
relation to Jesse?
- First Cousin
- Second Cousin
4) Jesse did not become famous until December 1869, when he and (most
likely) Frank robbed the Daviess County Savings Association. Where was the
- Gallatin, Missouri
- St. Louis, Missouri
- St. Joseph, Missouri
5) Who did the Jesse and his brother Frank join to form the famous
- Bill Owens
- Cole Younger
- Frank Wesley
6) Who did the Adams Express Company hire to go after Jesse and his
- John Adams
- Allan Pinkerton
- Butch Cassidy
7) On September 7, 1876, the Jesse, Frank and his gang gang attempted
their most daring raid to date, on the First National Bank. Where was the
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Tulsa, Oklahoma (Indian Territory)
- Northfield, Minnesota
8) Jesse and his wife had four children. How many survived to
9) Who shot Jesse James in the back at his home in St. Joseph,
- Allan Pinkerton
- Robert Ford
- Walter Chrysler
10. Where is Jesse James buried?
- Mount Olivet Cemetery, Kearney, Missouri
- Hollywood Forever, Hollywood, California
- Heaven's Gate Cemetery, St. Joseph, Missouri