Born: February 2, 1860, Saint Louis, Missouri
Died: July 1, 1898 (age 38), near Santiago, Cuba
Owen O'Neill, known as Buckey O'Neill, was a American
soldier, sheriff, newspaper editor, miner, politician, gambler and
lawyer, mainly in Arizona.
What do you know about
Buckey O'Neill? Try this
US Old West History Made Easy Quiz. "Check
Your Answers" at the end of the page.
1. During the Civil War, his father, John, served as a captain in the
116th Pennsylvania Volunteers of the Irish Brigade, and was severely
wounded at the Battle of Fredericksburg.
2. In 1880, he arrived in Tombstone, Arizona. He became a reporter
for what newspaper?
- Tombstone Epitaph
- Tombstone Bugle
- Tombstone Today
3. Upon arriving in Prescott, Arizona, he started as a court
reporter. He soon founded his own newspaper, a paper for the livestock
industry. What was the name of the newspaper?
- Arizona Rancher
- American Ranch Life
- Hoof and Horn
4. He became captain of the Prescott Grays in 1886, the local unit of
the Arizona Militia. On February 5, 1886, Dennis Dilda, a convicted
murderer, was hanged. O'Neill and the Prescott Grays stood honor guard
for the event. When the trap dropped, O'Neill fainted, which caused him
5. When did he marry Pauline Schindler?
- April 1885
- April 1887
- April 1889
6. In 1888, he was elected county sheriff, running on the Republican
ticket. What county position did he hold at the time of election?
- Yavapai County court reporter
- Yavapai County commissioner
- Yavapai County judge
7. After his term was up, O'Neill was elected unanimously to what
- Mayor of Prescott
- Yavapai County Attorney General
- Governor of Arizona
8. In 1898, war broke out between the United States and Spain.
O'Neill joined the Rough Riders and became Captain of Troop A. On , When
did the Rough Riders see their first action?
- May 25, 1898
- June 25, 1898
- July 25, 1898
9. The Battle of San Juan Hill (July 1, 1898) was the bloodiest and
most famous battle of the Spanish-American War. It was also one of the
greatest victories for the Rough Riders. Where was O'Neill killed in
- "Hell's Pocket"
- Kettle Hill
- San Juan Hill
10. Where is Buckey O'Neill buried?
- Mountain View Cemetery, Prescott, Arizona
- Prescott National Cemetery, Prescott, Arizona
- Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia