Commodore Perry Owens
July 29, 1852
May 10, 1919, (age 66), Flagstaff, Arizona
Perry Owens was a lawman and gunfighter of the old west.
What do you know about
Perry Owens? Try this
US Old West History Made Easy Quiz. "Check
Your Answers" at the end of the page.
1. He homesteaded near Navajo Springs, Arizona, building a small
house. What did he call his place?
- Z-Bar Ranch
- Anchor's Away Ranch
- Straight Course Ranch
2. In 1886, what Arizona county elected Owens as Sheriff ?
- Apache County
- Pima County
- Maricopa County
3. In September 1887, Owens was in the process of attempting to
subdue the most notorious gang of outlaws in the county. They were led
by a man named Andy Cooper. What other name was Cooper known as?
- Andy Reed
- Andy Blevins
- Andy Amos
4. On Sunday, September 4th, 1887, Sheriff Owens, traveled to the
Blevins' cottage in Holbrook, A.T. to serve an outstanding warrant on
the outlaw and rustler Andy Cooper. How many people were in the house
when he came to serve his warrant?
- 3 people
- 6 people
- 12 people
5. Cradling a Winchester in his arm, Sheriff Owens knocked upon the
door and, when Andy Cooper answered with a pistol in hand, the lawman
told him to come out of the house, stating that he had a warrant for
arrest. Cooper refused to comply and tried to close the door. Owens
dropped the rifle to his hip and shot Cooper through the door, hitting
him in the stomach.
6. Cooper's half-brother, John Blevins, then pushed a pistol out the
door to Owens' right and fired a shot at the Sheriff. He missed. What
did Blevins kill?
- Cooper's saddle horse
- Owens dog
- Brother walking up the street
7. A man who was boarding with the family, jumped out of a side
window. He saw the Sheriff and immediately turned to run. Owens shot
him, the bullet passing through his back and out of his chest. Who was
- Mark Reynolds
- Aaron Moore
- Mose Roberts
8. How long did the gunfight last?
- Less than a minute
- Half hour
- One hour
9. In the end the stalwart lawman turned entrepreneur succumbed to
Bright's disease (or possible paresis of the brain) and died on May 10,
1919, at age 66.
10. Where is Commodore Perry Owens buried?
- Citizen's Cemetery, Flagstaff, Arizona
- Seligman Holy Cemetery, Seligman, Arizona
- Four Peaks Cemetery, Flagstaff, Arizona