The Vietnam War
(Overview to 1954)
Choose an answer from the three choices
and True/False offered after each question and then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War,
or the Vietnam Conflict, occurred in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia
from 1959 to April 30, 1975. The war was fought between the communist
North Vietnam, supported by its communist allies, and the government of
South Vietnam, supported by the United States and others.
2. In 1927, the Việt Nam Quốc D�n
(Vietnamese Nationalist Party), modeled after the Guomingtang in China,
was founded. In 1930, the party launched the armed Yen Bai mutiny in
Tonkin which resulted in its chairman and many other leaders captured
and executed by the guillotine. Who was the chairman?
- Nguyen Ai Quoc
- Nguyen Thai Hoc
- Phan Boi Chau
3. In 1940, during World War II, Japan invaded Indochina, keeping the
Vichy French colonial administration in place as a Japanese puppet.
4. In 1941, who arrived in northern Vietnam to form the Việt
Minh Front, short for Việt Nam Độc
Lập Đồng Minh Hội.
- Phan Boi Chau
- Phan Chu Trinh
- Ho Chi Minh
5. The Việt Minh had a modest armed force and during the war.
Who did they work with during WW2 to collect intelligence on the
- British MI-6
- U.S. Office of Strategic Services
- Australian Office of War Intelligence
6. In early 1945, due to a combination of Japanese exploitation and
poor weather, a famine broke out in killing between 1 and 2 million
people. What part of Vietnam did the famine occur?
7. The Japanese surrendered to the Allies in August 1945. The Việt
Minh launched the "August Revolution" across the country to
seize government offices. Emperor Bảo �ại abdicated on
August 25, 1945, ending the Nguyễn Dynasty. On September 2, 1945
Ho Chi Minh declared Vietnam independent under the new name of the and
held the position of Chairman. What was the name he gave to Vietnam?
- Peoples Vietnam Republic
- Democratic Republic of Vietnam
- Union of Vietnam Republics
8. When did British forces landed in southern Vietnam, disarming the
Japanese and restoring order?
- August 1945
- September 1945
- October 1945
9. Realizing that colonialism was coming to an end worldwide, France
fashioned a semi-independent State of Vietnam, within the French Union.
Meanwhile, as the Communists under Mao Zedong took over China, the Viet
Minh began to receive military aid from China. When did war break out
between the Viet Minh and France?
9. The Viet Minh force grew significantly with China's assistance and
in 1954, under the command of General Vo Nguyen Giap, launched a major
siege against French bases in Dien Bien Phu. The Viet Minh force
surprised Western military experts with their use of primitive means to
move artillery pieces and supplies up the mountains surrounding Dien
Bien Phu, giving them a decisive advantage. On May 7 1954, When did
French troops at Dien Bien Phu, under Christian de Castries, surrendered
to the Viet Minh?
- May 7, 1952
- May 7, 1953
- May 7, 1954
11. The Geneva Conference of 1954 ended France's colonial presence in
Vietnam and partitioned the country into two states at the 17th parallel
pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free