George S. Patton Jr. (World
War II - Part 2)
What do you know about
George S. Patton Jr. (World War II - Part 2)? Try this US World War
Made Easy Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
In December 1944, the German army attacked Allied forces in the Battle of
the Bulge. Twenty-nine German divisions (250,000 troops) attacked
this Allied weak point. It was one of the worst Winters in years.
What was Patton's request of Third Army Chaplain, (COL) James O'Neill?
- Write a prayer for clear weather
- Give communion to his officers
- Visit the Vatican
2) Patton moved his Army northward.
Army unit did he relieve in Bastogne, Belgium?
- 3rd Cavalry
- 102nd Tank Division
- 101st Airborne Division
3) Patton's Third Army was battling to
relieve Bastogne. At 16:50 (4:50 PM) on December 26, the lead division
element reached Bastogne, ending the siege.
What was the unit?
- 1st Infantry Battalion of the 1st
- 107th Tank Battalion of the 8th Armored
- 37th Tank Battalion of the 4th Armored
4) On June 9, 1945, Patton and another
officer were honored in a parade through downtown Los Angeles. Who was the
- Dwight Eisenhower
- James Doolittle
- Omar Bradley
5) On December 9, 1945, in Germany a day
before he was due to return to the United States, Patton was severely
injured in a road accident. He and his chief of staff, Major General
Hobart R. "Hap" Gay, were on a daytrip to hunt pheasants in the
country outside Mannheim.
What was the vehicle?
- 1939 Lincoln Model 75
- 1939 Cadillac Model 75
- 1940 Mercedes Benz
6) Paralyzed from the neck down, George
Patton died of an embolism at the military hospital in Heidelberg, Germany
with his wife present.
What was the date?
- December 12, 1945
- December 19, 1945
- December 21, 1945
7) Patton deliberately cultivated a flashy,
distinctive image in the belief that this would motivate his troops. He
was usually seen wearing a highly polished helmet.
What was other item was
NOT in his wardrobe?
- riding pants
- high cavalry boots
- nickel-plated Winchester 1875
8) Patton had a bull terrier.
What was the
- William the Conqueror (Willy)
- Hannibal (Hanny)
9) Where is the General George Patton
- Fort Knox, Kentucky
- San Gabriel, California
- Indio, California
10) After the close of World War II, Patton
(now a full General) became the occupation commander of Bavaria, and made
arrangements for saving what organization?
- the world-famous Lipizzaner stallions of
- the world famous wild horses of the
- the wild elephants of Hannibal
11) Where was
George S. Patton Jr. buried?
- Stonewall Confederate Cemetery, Winchester, Winchester city,
- Luxembourg American (ABMC) Cemetery and Memorial, Hamm, Luxembourg
- Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia