What do you know about
US World War II
History Made Easy Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.
The Guadalcanal campaign marked the first significant strategic
combined arms victory by Allied forces over the Japanese in the
Pacific theatre. For this reason, the Guadalcanal campaign is
often referred to as a "turning point" in the war.
2) On August 7, 1942, Allied forces, predominantly composed of
troops from the United States, initiated landings on the islands
of Guadalcanal, Tulagi, and Florida in the southern Solomons with
the objective of denying their use by Japanese forces as bases to
threaten supply routes between the U.S., Australia, and New
3) What island was NOT in the initial battle plan?
4) The Japanese were building an airfield on Guadalcanal.
captured by the American forces, what was the airfield's name?
- Madison Field
- Henderson Field
- Boynton Field
5) The aircraft flying from Guadalcanal airfield became known
under what name?
- Cactus Air Force
- Ranger Air Force
- Solomon Air Force
6) Underestimating the strength of Allied forces on
Guadalcanal, Japanese troops' unit conducted a nighttime frontal
assault on Marine positions.
What was the name of the position?
- Alligator Creek
- Manor Pass
- Angus Way
7) Japanese destroyers were usually able to make round trips
down "The Slot" (New Georgia Sound) to Guadalcanal and
back in a single night throughout the campaign, minimizing their
exposure to Allied air attack.
Allied forces called this as what?
- "Tokyo Express"
- "Slot Trip"
- "Emperor's Trail"
8) A Japanese attack would come at a narrow, grassy,
1,000-yard-long, coral ridge that paralleled the Lunga River and
was located just south of the airfield.
What did the ridge
become known as?
- Battle of Lunga Ridge
- Battle of Edson Ridge
- Battle of Hill 123
9) Up until its withdrawal in December 1942, what American
unit handled the fighting on Guadalcanal?
- 1st U.S. Marine Division
- 1st U.S. Army Division
- US XIV Corps
10) When did the last Japanese resistance in the Guadalcanal
- February 9, 1943
- January 10, 1943
- December 31, 1942